Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket (Minicraft 1:48)

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Just one more... ;D
I started this about a month ago, I just don't have any up to date pictures yet. I'm building the late long nose version right now. plan to paint it up in the intermediate blue & light grey war time Navy scheme.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

This is where I'm actually at with this build.

Jason

What a cool looking Aircraft ...nice work too Jason ,you've got yer hands full at the minute too eh !! Colour scheme sounds good :)

Chris.

Yeah this looks sweet. Noticed it on the homepage and had to find it. Great looking machine.

Thanks guys. I think the long nose version looks cool. But I kind of think the short nose version looks like something that the guys at ILM drew on for inspiration when designing some of the Star Wars ships. I have a short nose in the stash also - planning to build it up as an aircraft from the old Blackhawks comic book.

grumman_skyrocket_04.jpg

Wicked looking plane, this is the first time i came across it. It looks like it bit the wing and it doesn't want to let go :D

Cheers!

Thanks Glorfindel, yep you are correct. 8)

I painted it a dark black-grey first, then painted in the gauges black. Afterwards I put drops of Future over each gauge.

Thanks DXM :)

Today I've been working on the engine bays (there is three major seams in each and they are not easy to fill and clean up). Also I got the engines rough painted and assembled, I plan to touch up the engines and detail paint them tomorrow. I didn't do a lot of clean up and work on the engines - very little will be visible once they are installed in to the bays...

Still lots of seam work to go before I can prime.

Jason

They do look nice little engines ,as you say the seams wont be seen once in the nacelles .

Chris.

Here's the engines installed in the Skyrockets ample nacelles ;D.

Just a little bit of seam clean-up / re-scribing left, hoping to prime this up early next week. Work is tossing all kind of wrenches in to my modelling werx however.

Jason.

Looks good with the engines tucked in there ,hopefully see paint soon then :)

Chris.

Coming together nicely, can't wait to see the paint. I really like that little plane. Keep it up!

I am still waiting for that 48th B-17 build tho. It's gonna be legen...wait for it... DARY! ;D ;D

Thanks guys. :)

I've got a block of time available today, so I'm hoping to work on this and the one oh nines panel lines. Got to keep everything moving.

FlipFlop said:
I am still waiting for that 48th B-17 build tho.

FlipFlop - if everything goes well you should see it finished up in the next few months...I'm not sure what scheme yet, it's a Revell B-17G and I've got no real love for the markings that come with the kit.

ShutterAce said:
So what's the scheme? Yellow wing?

Jim, I'm planning a US Navy blue / grey scheme.

I was hoping to have everything done with the priming coats yesterday. But I noticed a couple popped seams (where the top of the nacells meet the wings) that will need to be re-glued, possibly then refilled and sanded.

Small delay.

Jason

Latest posts

Back