Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket (Minicraft 1:48)

Glorfindel said:
Jason how did this Minicraft go together on you? Any issues with fit?

Not really, the fit is pretty good. Still needed small amounts of filler in spots. The main construction issue was the seams inside the engine nacelles - I found them hard to fill and clean up. Some ver minor sink marks on the outside of the fuselage. That aside it was a fun build, construction wise. I'm looking forward to building the second one I have in the stash.

rookie said:
Wow, despite your comments about the decals they seemed to have settled down realy nice. Looks fantastic..

How long do you normaly wait between applications of Microsol ?

Thanks. :)
I wait for the previous application to be dry and the wrinkles to be gone.

I think I've finished this build. I know it's not finished up as the prototype would have - I left the machine-gun ports open, and installed the dive bomb sight. I tried a slightly different approach with my weathering; I wanted it dirty, but I think I over did it...at least I learnt something I can use for next time. :)

Thanks for following along as I built this precursor to the US Navy's Tigercat fighter. Nice little kit of pretty neat looking piece of aviation history.

Comments are always welcome.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Last couple pictures. :)

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

I must concur ....fantastic built Jason ,you certainly done that kit justice . A great looking aircraft ,love the weathering too ....Brilliant :)

Chris.

Thanks Glorfindel and Chris. :) I value your comments.

My impression when I look at the model, is that I had over done the weathering. With this one I tried to weather completely with chalks and a pigment. I think combining the oil paints, chalks and washes (like on the BF 109-T2) gave a better overall appearance. More tones and colour. On the Skyrocket, I used a bunch of blue and grey toned chalks applied to individual panels, then applied the streaking with black chalk, post-it notes and old stiff brush. After that I blended with some paper towel. The exhaust streaks on the top were chalk, black wash, and Vallejo Smoke, (I skipped the chalk on the bottom just to see the difference).

Like I said eariler, it was a valuable learning experience. I think this look will be very good when I build my 1:72 Revell Starfury.

Jason

Nice job, Jason! I think you're weathering came out nice. Chalks are fun to use, because they're relatively easy (nothing to disassemble and clean out, for example) and you can get subtle results.

Well done!

Yeah Jason,
I've been interested in this one, too. Very sharp.

One question though. What type of paints if I may?
Or have I missed it, earlier?

the Baron said:
Nice job, Jason! I think you're weathering came out nice. Chalks are fun to use, because they're relatively easy (nothing to disassemble and clean out, for example) and you can get subtle results.

Well done!

Thanks Baron. I totally agree about the ease of use when it comes to chalks. Blending / mixing different shades together can give a huge range of tones too. My only issue with chalks are my gorilla thumbs, I pick up the model and a big old black chalk thumb print was left behind. ::) Good thing it cleans up easy with a moist q-tip. :)

Peppylepugh said:
Yeah Jason,
I've been interested in this one, too. Very sharp.

One question though. What type of paints if I may?
Or have I missed it, earlier?

Thanks for the kind compliment Peppylepugh. Vallajo model colour and Vallejo model air paints.

Scott Girvan said:
Really really cool Jason. Congrats on this.
Thanks Scott. It took a little longer than I thought it would. Think I'll finish up my contest build next. ::)

Jason, That thing is awesome man! Well done! I like the weathering. It looks like it could be sitting on the strip at Guadalcanal. The only thing that sticks out to me is the bright insignias. Other than that, perfecto! ;D ;D ;D

I really like it JMac, I also think the weathering looks cool. Your photography is pretty good to, any advice you can offer a new guy with a point and shoot? My stuff always seems to come out fuzzy.

ShutterAce said:
Jason, That thing is awesome man! Well done! I like the weathering. It looks like it could be sitting on the strip at Guadalcanal. The only thing that sticks out to me is the bright insignias. Other than that, perfecto! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Jim. :) good call on the insignias, I missed that. It's like they had a magical force field repelling my weathering efforts. ;D Next time...

Holden said:
I really like it JMac, I also think the weathering looks cool. Your photography is pretty good to, any advice you can offer a new guy with a point and shoot? My stuff always seems to come out fuzzy.

Thanks Holden. For photo tips; check out these two threads.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,5047.0.html
And
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3297.0.html

I used both of those for photography advice, (from guys that take outstanding pictures). I'm by no means a photography expert, but for fuzzy pictures two things come to mind;

1.Does your camera have a Macro function, and
2.Are you shooting with a tripod?

Ken Abrams said:
Very nice looking finish, and it's a really cool bird too.

Thanks Ken. It is a cool looking airplane. I think the pre-war aviation designs have an appealing aesthetic to them. Maybe once I thin the stash and WiP a bit I'll pick up some more aircraft from that era.

Latest posts

Back