Grey Street - MiniArt Norman Street

mr lucky

OK folks...here is my latest project. This is starting out as the MiniArt Norman Street, but it will be known as Grey Street. I'm building this as stand alone dio and a photo background. I'm not really building this a particular era or location. It definitely has a European feel to it, but the signage and overall theme will be location neutral. I'm planning this to work with the Arii kits I'm building, and also for some future armor projects I'll be taking on.

So...the details, I ordered the street accessories from MiniArt - park bench, manhole covers, and storm sewers. I'm also planning on adding some flower boxes to the building on the right. As I was going over the bits for the kit I realized the separately molded window panes will allow me to build this with some of the windows open. It's too bad with all the extra bits they supply with this kit, they couldn't throw in some clear plastic. I figured the clear plastic tops from our spinach containers should take care of that. The large downstairs window for the left building appears to only have a shuttered option. I need to go over all the parts again to make sure. If that's the case, then I'll either scratch build a new window, or that business will just happen to be closed.

I'm sure as I go along with this project, I'll keep adding more details and little goodies!

GreyStreet111612-1.jpg

Thanks all!!!

Okey-dokey....here is another update for Grey Street...by the way, I usually do not build this quickly! I've had some time off work and the there isn't anything happening around the yard this time of year. This is NOT my usual pace!

GreyStreet111712-3.jpg

I added the storm drain and the manhole cover to the street. I also built one bench and started on the flower boxes. I'm planning to get all of this primed today, and adding color later this weekend. I'm using 1/2 inch Gatorfoam for the base. I love this stuff! I needed the depth for the sewer and drain, and it's very rigid and light weight. I painted the inside of the storm sewer black, which will need repainted once I prime, but it looks really good. Even though no one will probably never notice, when everything is finished I'll add some trash and crud in the bottom of the storm drain. I won't glue the manhole shut, you never know, I may have a utility worker climbing out of it at some point.

GreyStreet111712-2.jpg

GreyStreet111712-1.jpg

The flower boxes are made from card stock and a 1/87 scale PE fire escape. All I had to do for the fire escape was cut the bottom platform off. These will end up with a coat of black paint. I thought the fire escape gave the boxes a little more visual interest. The bracket on the bottom is the fire escape bracket cut in half.

That's all for now.

Thanks...Erik

Quaralane said:
Looking good
Thanks!!

GreyStreet111912-1.jpg

Made some more progress...final coat of primer and filler is finished. The window frames have been shaved and fitted in the openings. And the sashes have also been fitted and glued in place. The thin individual parts are great for customizing, but I think about half of them broke at some point. The windows and doors are not glued in place, they will be pulled and painted as units. I know making the windows open will make glassing them a real hassle, but I think this will really make things more interesting.

Work continues....thanks all....Erik

I really love those Miniart Buildings. They make great stuff. And with a bit of patience you can make something really good out of them.

Very clean work you done on assembly. I also like those little touches like the flowerboxes. Will bring some live to the scene.

Thanks guys....I ordered some new paints for the buildings and trim. I want to try some combos before hitting the buildings with color. I also hate painting cobblestones! My first, second, and third attempt were all disasters! With lots of scrubbing with an old toothbrush and 70% isopropyl alcohol I'm back down to bare plastic. My next plan of attack is going with a brick road. I know these cobblestones are slightly larger than red brick, and may not be true to the region. But I've always said I am not a purist when it comes to building anything. I'm more interested in keeping to scale and the overall finished appearance. That being said, I wouldn't build a German tank with US markings, I'm not that far out in the weeds!

Erik

Leighbo said:
Looking sweet erik

cant wait to see some paint bring this to life

Thanks! I finally got the base painted and looking good - I think. I need to hit with some Dullcote then start some weathering. I'll get the updated pics posted pretty quick like. Still waiting for the new paint colors before I start on the buildings and trim.

Erik

Alright...made some progress and actually got the camera out!

GreyStreet112512-1.jpg

Here is the over-view as it stands now. Still waiting on my paint order to pick the final color combos for the buildings - grrrr....

GreyStreet112512-3.jpg

The road was primed with Vallejo Surface Primer in German Red Brown, then I went to town with the cheap craft paints in various shades of red and brown. I also used craft paints for the larger gray curbs. Once I was happy with the over-all color I shot the whole thing with Dullcote, then I got busy with the washes. I like to use water-base artist black drawing ink mixed with craft paints and water for washes. The Dullcote keeps the base colors from lifting as I wash and wipe away excess colors. This way I have better control and I can layer thinner washes on top of each other to get the look I want. I still need to go back and shoot the base with another coat of Dullcote to seal it. I also filled the storm drain with clear glue so it had the shine of standing water. I'll add some debris and trash in there before all is done.

GreyStreet112512-2.jpg

GreyStreet112512-4-1.jpg

The flower boxes are finished. I need to find something to give them a little height, then touch-up some paint once they are permanently attached to the building. The boxes are held in place with thin brass rod. Since I'm not planning on using the back as a finished viewing side I wasn't too concerned about how things look inside the building. I did have a drilling issue and now i need to do some patch work! Hahaaa!!

OK...that's it for now...thanks all...Erik

Thanks guys! This is really coming along. I figure it will be Christmas before I get it finished! By then I'll need to add some holiday decor.

Thanks again...Erik

Here's the latest updates!

GreyStreet120312-5.jpg

GreyStreet120312-1.jpg

GreyStreet120312-4.jpg

My next step is going to be hitting the whole thing with a coat of Dullcote, then start the weathering. The windows and doors fit pretty good after painting, they'll get glued in place once everything else is done. I still need to make the drapes and window displays for the two storefronts. This is a long way from done!

Thanks all...Erik

Thanks guys! I hope to start the weathering and aging later this week! I'll post the updates.

Erik

Latest posts

Back