Grendels - Electronics :D

hooterville75

Hey G, electronics question for you or anyone else with electronics knowledge. Could I use a piece of a mother board to substitute prototyping board ? I need to put a power resistor in my lab power supply I'm converting from a ATX power supply. I have no prototyping board at the moment but have unused bare pieces of a mother board laying around. Could I substitute a piece of the mother board for the prototyping board to solder the power resistor too ? Is their any other material I could solder the power resistor too ? My ex's father that owns a Radio Hut got me the stupid ceramic power resistor after I specifically told him I wanted the resistor in the aluminum casing but :D ceramic it is. So I need to find something I HAVE ALREADY to mount it too. I want to finish this thing this weekend and get it going but don't think Ill be getting anywhere to get a piece of prototyping board so I'm hoping a piece of the mother board I have will work :D

The motherboard would work, but you will need to find a spot on it that has absolutely no tracing. In other words, there can not be anything on the board that looks like circuits. If they are present, you might get a shock.

Perf board is pretty cheap, so if you can find some, use it.

A piece of wood would work, but that ceramic resistor will generate a lot of heat, so I would be careful using wood. We would not want to start a fire.....

Thanks for the info. I believe Ill just go on ebay and buy the power resistor that is in the aluminum casing and mount it to the power supply as originally planned. Ill keep the ceramic power resistors that I have as a spare or for another project if Id need them. I'm going by what I was told but, I got a bigger then needed power resistor so it wouldn't heat up as hot as normal. I got a 15 Ohms 25 Watt power resistor where it was stated that Id only need a 10 watt PR. I've also seen on different videos that guys are mounting the ceramic power resistors straight to the power supply itself. I don't like that idea. If they were meant to do that prototyping board etc wouldn't exist.

I hate spending additional money when I already have the three ceramic power resistors but safety first and foremost so Ill just go ahead and order the power resistor I originally wanted. One can never have too many spare parts on stock :) . Thanks for the info my friend.

Latest posts

Back