Good Ol' Tamiya 1/35 Jeep

Jdog71

Ni!
This is my first completed model in about 20 years. I tried some new (to me) techniques, like using oil paints to weather, and using pastel chalks to create 'mud'. This was also my first Tamiya model, and I have to say it was an absolute pleasure to build. I will be buying higher quality models, like this one, going forward. If anyone has any ideas to make this better, any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. One thing I noticed in the pictures is that theres a little too much shine on the tires. I had a hard time getting it right, and I think I missed the mark.

I was going for a worn, beat up look on this one, not 100% historical accuracy, so if something looks incorrect, it probably is.

JeepRight2.jpg

JeepRight.jpg

JeepLeft2.jpg

JeepLeft.jpg

JeepFrontRight2.jpg

JeepFront2.jpg

JeepFront.jpg

JeepDetail2.jpg

JeepDetail.jpg

JeepBack2.jpg

JeepBack.jpg

Nicely done,the weathering is fine and it is nicely painted. 8)
None to shabby for your first build in 20 years. ;)

Looks real good, especially for your first model in twenty years.

Tamiya kits usually go together very well so if you really enjoyed that build I would definitely recommend more Tamiya kits. Once you get confident and begin itching for more of a challenge, there are other manufacturers who's kits are more complicated.

You asked for tips to improve this one but personally, I would call it done and use the learning experience to improve the next one but here's some things to keep in mind: the handle on the .30 cal isn't wood so you can leave it black, it's some sort of composite material. It looks like the tires, especially the spare, still have the mold seam down the middle, a little sanding will take care of that.

All and all it's a really solid build and you should be proud, nice job!

Thanks! And thanks for the tips, ScaleModelMadman. I'll put it on my shelf after I sand the seams out of the tires and paint the .30 cal handle the correct color ;D They're never really done, are they? Just noticed that I forgot to get shots of the undercarriage. I'll put some up after work.

Welcome back to "The Hobby" and nice job! All things considered you've done well. I think we all took a break from it at some point, and you're return is off to a good start. And good choice in picking a Tamiya kit to start too, they seem to be a little more user friendly than some others while still being nicely detailed. Keep at it, can't wait to see what you churn out next.

Latest posts

Back