Goliath vignette *FINISHED*

Panzergirl

I am making progress on my vignette: I am now working on the German 200L barrels, but I am having some issues with the lighter pigmented colors drying in order to use the hairspray method. Has anyone else run into this issue?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Goliath vignette

Geez, that looks pretty good to me. What exactly is the problem you're having?

Thank you for the reply and the encouraging comment,

I am working a jerry can and I put the same "rusty" under coat that you see on these barrels....everything is exactly the same except the master color.....in this case I am using the first rendition of dunkleglaub so it is very mustardy. I mixed it up using Model Air but it won't dry. The paint just wants to slide off the worn effects coat.....I can't figure out what is wrong.

That looks great so far..As far as your problem may want to change the medium or add a layer of dullcoat or matt inbetween.

The paint wont dry? That's odd...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it slides of the worn effects, because the worn effects are meant to release from the surface and let the top coat slide away.

It would be super helpful if you could take some photos of the problem and maybe host them on something like photobucket or similar so they are much bigger than an attached image.

Ken Abrams said:
the worn effects are meant to release from the surface and let the top coat slide away.
I think Ken's found the solution to your problem here.....I don't think you're understanding the "Worn Effects" product description.

Like I explained I have been using AK Worn Effects on the drums shown in this thread....and other pieces and it worked perfectly. When I get home, I will post pictures of the Jerry Can and give my paint mixture also. I used a mixture of three Model Air colors so there should be no issues with paint chemistry. All I can say is it's been about 48 hours and it still isn't dry.

Thank you for all of your input....really want to get this figured out.

Panzergirl said:
All I can say is it's been about 48 hours and it still isn't dry.

Sounds like a bad bottle of paint then, I've had the occasional one over the years.

As promised I am posting pictures of both the barrels and the jerry can in a large resolution. Here is what I did: the rust affect that you see is from AK's rust magazine and I did that on all the pieces followed by a coat of Model Air satin varnish. Then a thin layer of AK Worn Affects was air brushed on followed by a small batch of dunkelgleb using Model Air 027, 030 and 023. I used an Iwata HPC at about 11 psi. Everything was exactly the same for everything except the top coat color but as you can see the results were not the same.

I am really Really REALLY hoping that Ken is wrong because there is a lot of work in the jerry can including a couple hours to construct the PE lid assembly but I am afraid that he may be right and I will be making a new can this weekend :-\.

3u2c.jpg

8vla.jpg

Something does look really wrong there, the way it's still wet...

but, I think you could save it with very little trouble. the Yellow should easily come off without much effort, maybe a coffee mug of water (or any small container just in case that wonderful PE lid comes off) a soft brush or old toothbrush even and it should go no further than that. You would be left with what you started with, the rust color which should be fine as it looks to be holding fast?

Then, test the colors you mixed separately on something scrap to discover the bad bottle. If they are fine, test the worn effects again, it may be the culprit. If that appears fine well... try again with more dry time in between each layer?

I wouldn't give up on the can though, that yellow should come right off and leave you with the rust colored can to start again. Hopefully.

How long between the matt coat, AK Worn effects and the top color coat?

All of these things dry really fast normally, but if they were put on fairly quickly, could be that not enough time between coats before putting the next layer on.

What was your base rust color?

So what you see in the picture was my attempt after 72 hours of dry time to do the hairspray removal method (the water step, that is why it looks wet in the picture). Obliviously this got me no-where.

The rust is a combination of several colors as described in The Weathering Mag issue #1. I allow at least 24 hours dry time between coats of paint (except the hair spray which is 30 minutes before the color coat then removal is in about 30 minutes after that). The dunkelgleb never dried as seen in the picture after 72 hours.

Soooooo......I got the paint off with water and the PE didn't come off, thankfully. Tomorrow I will do a little touch up and try some Tamiya paint and see if that works better.

Thank you for all your help and I will post the fixed jerry can in a couple days.

I am assuming that the rust coat under it all was acrylic as well? Any primer under it? And if so what was it? And how long did it dry.

Something somewhere along the lines just looks like it didn't dry/cure long enough.

Had a customer phone me about a piece he was working on, used GW Chaos Black (which is an enamel I believe) as a primer and had painted Vallejo over it less than 24hrs later, and couldn't figure out why the Vallejo wouldn't dry. Once I found out what primer he used and how long before he put paint on, we discovered the problem was he didn't let the primer cure long enough, and it was still gassing out through the Vallejo paint keeping it from drying. In the end he didn't believe me, and contacted Vallejo directly, to which he got the same answer.

Only thing here is that I assume you used the same products and dry times from start to finish on the fuel barrel as you did on the fuel can, so it really doesn't make any sense other than maybe a bad bottle of paint somewhere along the lines. It happens, fortunately not too often.

I don't use primer because all the pieces are washed in plastic prep about three hours before painting to remove any finger oils, mold release or what ever. I have figured out that one of the colors from Model Air was bad. When I sprayed it from my air brush all by itself it didn't even stick to the scrap piece I was spraying. So this morning I got some Tamiya paints and hopefully I can make the same color as before.

Thank you for your help.....I am in the process of touching the can up right now and I will keep you posted and the progress.

Panzergirl said:
I don't use primer because all the pieces are washed in plastic prep about three hours before painting to remove any finger oils, mold release or what ever. I have figured out that one of the colors from Model Air was bad. When I sprayed it from my air brush all by itself it didn't even stick to the scrap piece I was spraying. So this morning I got some Tamiya paints and hopefully I can make the same color as before.

Thank you for your help.....I am in the process of touching the can up right now and I will keep you posted and the progress.

Shoot Vallejo an e-mail about the bad bottle and what it did, they are always interested to hear about how their paint is being used, and any possible bad bottles that may be out there. They may ask you for the batch number, it is usually right underneath the UPC code, or at least close by there.

Glad to hear you sorted it out, you'll probably find that you get better chipping results with Tamiya anyway so you know, every cloud lol

This turned out to be very frustrating but I finally got it fixed. I tried to mix up a batch of Tamiya dunklegleb and this was the first time I used Tamiya for hairspray and I was not happy with the results. Sooooo I changed the color of the can to braun (RAL 8020), because this vignette is post war, I was able to make that change. Here are the results, thank you for everyone's' input, I appreciate the help and I will keep posting the progress.

ndsj.jpg

Well, here is what I have done so far....the barrels aren't in the finished places but you get the idea. The base is pre-shaded and I waiting for the ground pain to arrive.......hopefully tomorrow. I will keep posting pictures as the project progress.

6xoh.jpg

Latest posts

Back