Glue removal to separate pieces?

Ian

So I got a couple cheap Tamiya kits off eBay and upon inspection one had already been started! (something that was NOT mentioned in the description I might add.)

Anyway, it's the two pieces that comprise the tank turret.

What would be the best way to cleanly separate them?

ojuxT.jpg

bQ9a1.jpg

I'm not sure what they used, but if they used actual plastic cement that works by melting the plastic together you will probably have trouble. You can try putting the parts if the freezer and then popping them off. You can try cutting them apart, but the knife is very likely to slip and cut through a part or through your hand.

Frankly, I'd demand a refund through eBay/PayPal since you said it was started and that was not mentioned in the description.

Ian said:
So I got a couple cheap Tamiya kits off eBay and upon inspection one had already been started! (something that was NOT mentioned in the description I might add.)

Anyway, it's the two pieces that comprise the tank turret.

What would be the best way to cleanly separate them?

ojuxT.jpg

bQ9a1.jpg

Sure hope you dinged some negative feedback and filed a received item not as described complaint on that one Ian. Thats bulljizz. Thats downright shady. Had it been mentioned in the item description and you still went ahead and bought it thats one thing but to not even describe that in the item description thats rediculous. ID be JACKED.

hmm... I can't quiet tell what they used. It looks like testors cement? Tamiya's extra thin cement works well when you need to separate pieces, it gets between parts and melts the bonds enough to separate. But not really knowing what was used and how the liquid thin cement will react with the testors cement I can't guarantee it'll work, but I think it will. The pieces will be a mess though.

hooterville75 said:
Sure hope you dinged some negative feedback and filed a received item not as described complaint on that one Ian.

First step is talking to the seller to rectify this problem. Working on either a partial refund and keeping the kits, or a full refund and return. We'll see what they say.

steezy said:
hmm... I can't quiet tell what they used. It looks like testors cement? Tamiya's extra thin cement works well when you need to separate pieces, it gets between parts and melts the bonds enough to separate. But not really knowing what was used and how the liquid thin cement will react with the testors cement I can't guarantee it'll work, but I think it will. The pieces will be a mess though.

If I end up keeping them, that'll be my first test.

adampolo13 said:
Just out of curiosity, why do they need to come apart?

The main gun barrel should have been attached BEFORE these two pieces were glued!

It's Tamiya's M41 Walker Bulldog. The other is a Schutzenpanzer Marder. Both look like fun and I kinda want to keep them, if I can get a satisfactory partial refund. I like a challenge!

After some work I managed to get them apart, using Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement and white spirit.

I'll leave them as they are, assemble with the correct pieces in order, then clean up after.

q1ZSc.jpg

mrtDH.jpg

5UtOQ.jpg

KoyrR.jpg

It was dicey but I finally did it.

Also, I rectified with the seller. I paid $27.75 total for two kits older Tamiya armor kits (one had stuff off the sprues, the other had this glue issue) but I managed to get a refund of $15, so I'm pretty happy now.

that sucks Ian, but you got them apart. noting a bit of sanding and filling wont fix later :)

Latest posts

Back