Girvan's 144 FMMF

Junkie

It begins.

I am going to light this, make a boarding ramp, make the gear bay doors and that's about it. Not sure if I'll light the cockpit...again, this will go in the Rogue Squadron diorama - way at the back of the hangar.

3441.jpg

Now...I AM going to build the MPC Falcon for this GB...but I promised myself that I'd finish the Rogue Squadron diorama first. So...since this kit is part of that project and a Millennium Falcon..I'll build this here.

Woot!
Yippee.
This'll be really kewl!!
You'll have several models/projects cross the finish line at around the same time!
;D

Thanks all! Gonna start now...just finished supper..

One question: Now, think in terms of that forced perspective diorama...I want to add the landing lights. Not too bright as they have to be in scale. (Gotta scale the intensity of lights in the project too.)

Do you think that simply running white light fiber optics to the right spot will work. I can 'bloom' the end of it out a bit.

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks all! Gonna start now...just finished supper..

One question: Now, think in terms of that forced perspective diorama...I want to add the landing lights. Not too bright as they have to be in scale. (Gotta scale the intensity of lights in the project too.)

Do you think that simply running white light fiber optics to the right spot will work. I can 'bloom' the end of it out a bit.

Hm, I tested this on my Galactica doorbell button (maybe you remember) It doesent work. The only chance to get the right light is to use LEDs. But you can trimm the light down with a strong resistor.

Didn't completely get what You meant by "bloom", Scott, by IMHO the best way to give each part (scale) of your dio the amount of light required, making it weaker to the end, is by using microrheostats (like for ex. this http://www.chipdip.ru/product/3006p-1-502.aspx) With it You would be able to change thee brightness of the LEDs in each section before their comparative brightness doesn't fit your taste.

Solander said:
Didn't completely get what You meant by "bloom", Scott, by IMHO the best way to give each part (scale) of your dio the amount of light required, making it weaker to the end, is by using microrheostats (like for ex. this http://www.chipdip.ru/product/3006p-1-502.aspx) With it You would be able to change thee brightness of the LEDs in each section before their comparative brightness doesn't fit your taste.

What I do is pretty similar. I use the rheostat to find the right brightness then replace it with the equivalent resistor. But if you don't have a Ohm meter, you can just leave the rheostat in place.

I think I have some learning to do.

When I say bloom I mean heat the end of the fiber optic until it becomes like a mushroom.

CPO - no I think you got it. I meant use fiber optics as spots.

Solander...Russian text looks like Aurabesh to me. Pretty cool language.

Using fiber optics as spots wont work. Not even with a very bright LED or other source. The light ends at the end of the wire. I tried to light Galacticas nameplate, but there were no chance to do so. So I decided to use a yellow LED and a strong resistor. I covered the LED, so the light leave only on the desired direction. It wasnt the high end effect, but it comes very close to it.

She's a well-made kit, Scott.

Have fun opening up that landing ramp, though. She's molded closed

If forced perspective, then using smaller and smaller fiber should help sell the trick -with dimmer LED's as well. 1mm, .75mm, .5mm, .25mm. It's like in the old film days, they'd use midgets and children in the background to help sell the forced perspective illusion. (Trivia: Check out all the guys around the plane at the end of Casablanca!)

Using fiber as spot lights is more problematic. Very close it might work. 144 is pretty tiny, so maybe. Some bigger fiber like 2mm might be stronger light. Hide the fiber ends with some utility boxes or something like that.

Quaralane said:
She's a well-made kit, Scott.

Have fun opening up that landing ramp, though. She's molded closed

It sure is. Almost finished the main build already. But yeah, opening that ramp will be....fun.

As for lights, I'm going to have to use LEDs. Small ones, and dim dem down.

OK, that was fun. Fast, but fun.
3442.jpg

I went ahead and glued the landing gear since I'll need them in place to judge the height for the boarding ramp. That's up next...maybe tomorrow.
3443.jpg

Love to have 3 or 4 of these kits. Really, really, really....really awesome. Great for all kinds of dios.

S C O T T ! ! ! ! !.............
....slow down!!!!!
;D
sheesh!
If you run out of kits to build, I'll have to send you some of mine.
lol
You must get paid by the piece and NOT the hour. lol
;D;D;D;D;D;D
p.s. don't slow down.
I just don't know how some of the guys here can build/paint anything, and then post stuff and then comment on 50 threads every 30 seconds!
;D

LOL. Many guys comment alot more than I do. I've been up to my ears building for the past couple of weeks.

Well, at least I just finished my Klingon D-7!!!!!!!
Yay, now on to the REPUBLIC before I can, in good conscience, begin the Aluminum Pigeon....er...uhm.... I mean Millennium Falcon!
Then I too can be one of the kewl Kids!
;D

Latest posts

Back