FW 190 A-1 (Pegasus Hobbies 1:48)

(((lol))) yeah ...we all do it Jason ,just try not to get bogged down with too much ;)

'Honey do list' ...love it ....I call it 'The war office ' ;D but dont tell ;)

Chris.

I'll try. The Yak should finish up quick - a couple weeks tops. The P-47 is anyones guess, and the FW 190 is progressing ok.

Here's where I'm at with the FW 190;

Started painting the camo. I posted earlier that normally I "pre-shade" by first priming black and then "colouring" in the panels with what ever colour they are supposed to be from the centre of the panel out. On this build I've primed with white and black, it's a different approach than normal but I wanted to try out some different ways to approach the paint scheme. It all started with masking off the finished RLM 04 Yellow panels, and carefully drawing in the camouflage pattern very lightly with a sharp 2H pencil.

1) For the RLM 76 (Pale Grey Blue) areas - I primed black and use my normal "colouring in" technique.

2) Then I outlined the panel lines in the RLM 75 areas with Vallejos Model Air RLM 75. This is a very dark (almost black grey). After that, I lightened the RLM 75 slightly with a drop of RLM 65 Blue, and began to paint from the edge of each panel line in toward the centre of the panel. I wanted a kind of patchy appearance. Then I further lightened the RLM 75 with a little more RLM 65 and painted in the middle of the panels.

3) Using the Model Air RLM 74, I traced out the remaining panel lines, and tried to lightly colour them in from the outside edges in.

I'm not convinced that this was a complete success. I still have to finish the RLM 76 layer, "splotch", add in two black patches and detail paint - lots of painting to go.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

A couple more pictures - the RLM 75 layer evened out(ish) and the RLM 74 camouflage patches added.

Thanks again. Comments welcome.

Jason

Well worth the effort Jason ,its looking good buddy :)

Chris.

I think so also Chris. This just building stuff for fun, is kind of liberating...

Last coat of RLM 76 is now in place. I roughly, masked off the wings to avoid extra over-spray. Mottling also done, along with some touch ups.

Tomorrow morning will finish of the major painting with some black patches above the wings.

As always, thanks for looking, and comments welcome.

Jason

Ahhh, I see what you're doing there, and I think it's paying off.

Nice work, great technique too.

Thanks Myke. I think with more practice, I'll either get the shading to work better on top of the white primer or I'll just go back to using grey with black panel lines (or just prime it all black - like I used to do). With the touch ups and other uneven colour applications, some panels are not standing out as much as I'd like. However I think my free hand work is getting better (still could use some major improvements also - and that's ok :)). My Badger Velocity however had an accident during the painting process :'(, due too my klutzy gorilla thumbs :-\, and sloth like reflexes ::)- it's being shipped back to Badger tomorrow for repair. Ended up finishing everything up with my good ole Iwata.

Here's where I'm at today. I painted the black patches on either side of the forward fuselage and took all of the tape off. I test fit the landing gear, and it looks kind of pigeon toed to me...might have to work on it further.

Tomorrow - clear coat.

Jason

Decals are on. I'll clear coat over them tomorrow, and start detail painting / weathering on Friday.

Jason

Thats looking real nice Jason ,you nailed the mottle ,looks fantastic buddy :)

Chris.

Thanks fumblethumbs, Chris and Bill. It's aways really nice to get supportive comments.
:)
I was going to do the detail painting and weathering over last week but my "honey do" list did in fact get in the way. Normally I mix my own washes, using Tamiya paint, water and dish soap, but I've developed an allergy to something in thier paint (my main reason for moving to Vallejo paints in the first place). I think I'll pickup and try out some premixed Vallejo washes at the end of the week (my monthly modelling budget resets March 01 :)).

Jason

The paint looks dynamite.

I'm going to have to take a shot at freehand camo for my current build so it's an encouraging result!

Thanks Hodges. :)

I've been really busy at work, so I have not posted in a while. I did get this build done. I didn't really weather it up, I kind of ran out of gas with it. I think it's ok, good learning experience, but I just don't really feel like doing much more with it. I'll post some pictures of the finished build maybe later this week.

Jason

Here's my finished pictures of the Pegasus Hobbies FW-190 A-1. The lighting was a little dim on my desk when I took these pictures, so they turned out a little towards the dark side.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Jason

That turned out very nice Jason ! ....excellent work :)

Chris.

Thank-you letsgobrowns82.

I'm working a kind of Luftwaffe thing right now. I really like the aircraft and the colour schemes, but i was always hesitant to do camouflage that was not masked. So I've been trying to try out free hand AB painting, some guys are wicked great at it, I'm just starting out. Good practice. ;)

Latest posts

Back