Foxbody Fever! 88GT and 90LX kit-bash build

Time has been a weird concept lately. Got some stuff done. Almost complete.

I got the 350/700r4 Chevy plant successfully swapped in, plumbed and wired. Master cylinder is plumbed. IMG_1001.JPGIMG_1009.JPG
Interior is buttoned up. Final details include things I envisioned from the start. Such as the busted window regulator and the lifeless sideview mirror...IMG_1010.JPG
Wired the Tach through the busted vent. I scratched out some interior trim panels for the A-pillars and roof lines to create a more substantial interior.
IMG_1012.JPG
The headliner has been ripped out, revealing the hideous foam beneath. The broken taillights have had the tape treatment.

I'm going to be hitting the last details, some grime washing and calling this thing finally done... By far the most time I've put into any kit ever. I'd be afraid to know the actual hour count... I'll be back for a finish post. Thanks for following along!
IMG_1011.JPG

It has been too long since I have got some time on the Bench. I finally have a setup that just may allow me to get a little work done.

I boxed this 88 GT because I couldn't figure my way to complete the front end. Enough is enough, it's time to finish this one.

I seem to have trouble with AMT kits. As their fitment usually takes quite a bit of finesse, if not all out reconstruction. The provided radiator/cooling system wasn't fitting. I planned electric fans. So I dug out a NASCAR rad and started fooling with it.

Establishing Shot:

IMG_3666 Medium.jpeg

Added some sheet plastic to span gaps in the engine bay:
IMG_3662 Medium.jpeg
Added a filler neck from some brass tubing:
IMG_3663 Medium.jpeg

Then there I was, stuck again:
IMG_3664 Medium.jpeg
The chassis is twisted from the passenger side damage and the frame rails/engine bay are no longer plumb. So I started scratching around.

The green metallic strip is from the 1993 release from Monogram, "Waverider" Chevy S10 custom kit. I built that kit right around that time and still have some of the parts.
I used the Mustang's transmission cross member as a fan shroud, because it won't work for a crossmember with the TH350.

With some persuasion I was able to get this to start looking like someone retro fit a racing radiator in this junky, no-budget race car:
IMG_3671 Medium.jpegIMG_3670 Medium.jpegIMG_3669 Medium.jpeg
Either way, we're getting somewhere. This is what is left to paint and assemble.
IMG_3672 Medium.jpeg

But if I don't stop, I may never quit pouring in the detail:

IMG_3674 Medium.jpeg

I am happy to be grinding some bench time. Let me know what you all think!

Attachments

• IMG_3664 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_3664 Medium.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 0
It has been too long since I have got some time on the Bench. I finally have a setup that just may allow me to get a little work done.

I boxed this 88 GT because I couldn't figure my way to complete the front end. Enough is enough, it's time to finish this one.

I seem to have trouble with AMT kits. As their fitment usually takes quite a bit of finesse, if not all out reconstruction. The provided radiator/cooling system wasn't fitting. I planned electric fans. So I dug out a NASCAR rad and started fooling with it.

Establishing Shot:

View attachment 97412

Added some sheet plastic to span gaps in the engine bay:
View attachment 97411
Added a filler neck from some brass tubing:
View attachment 97413

Then there I was, stuck again:
View attachment 97414
The chassis is twisted from the passenger side damage and the frame rails/engine bay are no longer plumb. So I started scratching around.

The green metallic strip is from the 1993 release from Monogram, "Waverider" Chevy S10 custom kit. I built that kit right around that time and still have some of the parts.
I used the Mustang's transmission cross member as a fan shroud, because it won't work for a crossmember with the TH350.

With some persuasion I was able to get this to start looking like someone retro fit a racing radiator in this junky, no-budget race car:
View attachment 97415View attachment 97416View attachment 97417
Either way, we're getting somewhere. This is what is left to paint and assemble.
View attachment 97418

But if I don't stop, I may never quit pouring in the detail:

View attachment 97419

I am happy to be grinding some bench time. Let me know what you all think!
Loving the details, going the extra mile is certainly paying off.
Pantherman

Love the front clip, will you leave it white..? Looks beat to crap..(2thumbsup)
Yeah, I like how it looks too

Except the headlights are terrible and I will be working on something for that.
I need to touch up the red trim in places as well,
but overall it's gonna look like this.

New wounds on top of old wounds on top of scar tissue... Get up, cause we're going again!
IMG_3846.jpeg

We're getting closer, but still it feels far off...

IMG_3819.jpeg
IMG_3817.jpeg

Getting Some detail in

I found the perfect piece of brass tubing, and fashioned me up a driveshaft out of it.

Got to get all this painted and final assembly.
IMG_3809.jpeg

Enjoy

Latest posts

Back