Foxbody Fever! 88GT and 90LX kit-bash build

ArtChromer

rsUKDza9RhKB+q8oclSeEg.jpg
Latest Haul:
AMT's 88GT Mustang
Revell's '90LX Mustang

Part of the reason I quit building years ago, was that there were no kits for cars manufactured after 1972. I was walking through a hobby store recently, and I was pleased to find G body, Full-Size GM cars, later Ford, GMC/Chev and Dodge trucks. Finally! Cars that I've owned are kits that I can build! Completely renewed my vigor for the hobby.

I don't know anyone who hasn't wanted one of these lightweight missile Mustangs. The "Fox" Platform ran across a few intermediate Ford models, so parts are extremely plentiful and lots of powertrain options were available. They're cheap, they're everywhere, and the aftermarket is literally endless so they make for very obtainable "Corvette Killers."

Although the tooling is different on these two kits they're similar enough to have some fun. My plan is to re-street the LX into the Notchback Coupe I've always wanted. The 88GT will be transformed into the ragged out, beater street/strip car, you'll find listed on craigslist all day, and the guy swears it's worth every bit of $5500.

I need to pick up some colors for the bodies tomorrow. Playing with the idea of 60's GT350 wheels, from my parts stash, on the notch. Also, I realized I need a better camera....

-Art

Last edited:
I've driven trucks my whole life , but right after I got out of the Navy I bought a '92 LX Coupe 5.0 . The State Troopers drove them back then .
Such a good looking car .
Got a whole slew of tickets in it - and then the first time I had to replace a tire ....
Guy at tire shop : " $ 387.50 "
Me : " No , no , I just need one "
Guy at tire shop : " Yeah , just the one . $ 387.50 , mounted and balanced "
Me - back to driving pickups . :D

I've driven trucks my whole life , but right after I got out of the Navy I bought a '92 LX Coupe 5.0 . The State Troopers drove them back then .
Got a whole slew of tickets in it - and then the first time I had to replace a tire ....
:D:D:D the first time i bought new tires ever. BF Goodrich's for a'94 Cobra. "I need a new set of tires" $600... "I need a pair of rear tires." I had saved for months, babying bald tires all winter long! LOL

Yep ! -- They were those Goodyear Gatorbacks . the right front blew out on me on I-10 - at probably 100 mph - I just ended up replacing the 2 fronts with Yokohamas for the price of one of the Goodyears .

Picked up some primers and a couple colors I can live with. Pandemic is definitely disrupting supply chains everywhere. My local shop has 12 jars of testors and a mostly empty wall rack of rattle cans. Went to Hobby Lobby thinking big box store ought to have more. Instead I had to talk my way out of joining a pyramid scheme from someone who I thought originally worked there and could unlock the paint case! LOL "Lane, been fantastic talking, but I have to get out of here, and I'm definitely not interested in your secrets to early retirement. I'm buying paint to relive my youth before the world burns all the way down."

Anyway I'll hit the thread after I get some enamel shot on the Fast Foxes!

" I had to talk my way out of joining a pyramid scheme from someone who I thought originally worked there and could unlock the paint case! "
:D more interesting than my own visits to the Lobby of the Hobby .

*****UPDATE*****

Got quite a bit done today. Everything is shot in primer that's getting it. Finish Color goes on the shell Tomorrow.

I heavily altered the suspension in the hopes the car will sit near the ground. The rear axle rests on the frame rail now. I don't have a dremel so my work looks a little rough, but I got the effect I was looking for.
I chopped a couple coils out of the springs and needed to remove some of the pan to allow the 4-link to tuck. I went ahead and cut back the fenderwells as well.

I'm going with a set of fat-daddy 18" Torque Thrusts from modelroundup.com (Shout out to them for all the awesome goodies, I will be sharing when they arrive!) It's my first time altering a kit to this degree and my first time ordering and using aftermarket parts. I'm hoping for good results.

The front end was chopped down too and it shifted the axles kind of weird.. Haven't determined if I will have a problem with fit until the wheels come in. I may have to play with the front-end assembly making the mounts higher on the subframe. Either way another little puzzle for later...

I'm liking what I've got slapped together so far.

-Art

--If anyone knows where or how I could get a hold of a cable driven rotary tool, I'd be very grateful for any info/tips on budget friendly options. I'm in Las Vegas.--

ze8vccEdTq+msK8WgDItAQ.jpg
cKZTGWfNTOKAr7jSTIPbAQ.jpgwclLuW8lQRe38ELkHTthoA.jpg
Squattin'
2beKtNYIR%eKRSK9yQ4BfA.jpgs+pXg9BTQaSZIWq3TcsJSA.jpg
The Front-end is a little sketch, but it should look convincing in the finished product.

Attachments

• ze8vccEdTq+msK8WgDItAQ.jpg
    ze8vccEdTq+msK8WgDItAQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
I bought one of these super-cheapo rotary tools with the cable drive ,
Mine is this one , I paid 19 bucks for the kit ( shown down at the bottom of the page ) that comes with the flex-shaft .
Looks like they're not offering that kit currently :
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2307-Var...1&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081
But -- the same company has this one :
Looks pretty similar . Same 1 amp motor ,
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-23103-Va...5&sr=1-2-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

It's fine for low RPM work with the flex-shaft , but that's all I needed from it .
Reviewers were complaining of overheating of the flex-shaft ( and failure , but who knows what they were doing ) - so I immediately super-greased the flex-line upon arrival , with " Moly-Graph " extreme pressure grease :D so no problems for me .
Amazon Prime has a few other kits near that price range .
I have a little Dremel but the flex-shafts for it are more than that whole kit above .

Plastics are probably the only thing i'll be using it for ATM, so low torque and RPMs are good.
I really appreciate the info!

I bought it to work on that HIMMELSFALKE build .
Works well enough considering the price .
After reading a bunch of the negative reviews , I figured for the price I'd chance it . Really satisfied with it .

If you're gonna be doing kit-bashing and scratch-building , I can't recommend strongly enough to acquiring an ultra-sonic knife .
Not exactly cheap but worth every penny IMO .
It's like having a plasma cutter vs a hacksaw . And zero-kerf cuts .

I got mine from Hobby Link Japan like 8 years ago : https://www.hlj.com/ultrasonic-wave-cutter-zo-40-resin-ect58228

@ Amazon , the newer model :
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Cutter...ywords=ultrasonic+knife&qid=1595796433&sr=8-2

I imagine a used one would be fine .
As long as it works , LOL .
The Japanese market runs on 100 volts so I have a transformer for it --- nothing special but I'm thinking that would be the only way a previous owner / seller could damage it . ( excluding all the other crazy chit our fellow humans are capable of :D )

Ultra sonic knife ... now that I see it exists, I must find one.
Thanks for the tip U
I've been using the back of an exacto blade for...ever

I have poor luck with the rattle cans. Had to wet sand down terrible orange peel and shoot another coat. I keep getting a frothy foam viscosity that's driving me crazy. I'm gonna live with what I got, because any more work on the body, I'm afraid i'll lose body lines and contours. The chassis/pan I'm happy with until I do a slight acrylic wash. I'm waiting for wiring and wheels to show up. This will be the most detailed piece I've put together, and the most I've invested into a build. -Art.
s22bqR7TSy6W7Rk0v4UgnQ.jpgkaB7+X+bTduoRhOsZRelFg.jpg

"Good looking?" Uh, OK. The least Mustang-looking Mustang ever (yet, the most long lasting body- there's something I don't get). My buddy at work has the '82 he bought when it was a year old (he was about 19 at the time)- it's his baby- the thing his wife doesn't say anything about. He's just gotten it back on the road after over a year of downtime replacing the engine with a rebuilt. It's been a fun car when we've gone tooling around in it. Not as much fun as my 3rd Gen Prelude, but fun. I just bought 2 Fox body kits- to build for my friend. The interesting portion shall be replicating the very well done skull and crossbones he had custom painted on the hood (he's into pirates, Arrrrr). BP

"Not as much fun as my 3rd Gen Prelude, but fun.
Although it's the least Mustang looking Mustang, it did well in sales, and the 80's were terrible for American Auto Manufacturers. A front wheel drive prelude may handle better than a fox, but nothing beats a V8 rev, dropping the clutch, cranking the wheel and hanging on for a rowdy ride. I always liked to drive my mustang sideways everywhere. Can't do that in a Honda.

Got everything in to keep me busy for the foreseeable future! Shameless/Free plug for Model Roundup, super stoked to have found this internet gem. I'll be happy to lose myself in the next couple projects.

Got the LX plugged and wired. I'm using the factory rubber boot covered Distributor to keep it simple. For my first attempt it wasn't as frustrating as I thought. Although after cussing through getting it all together I forgot the looms! Oh well, we'll get 'em next time, Champ. I'll take some more detailed pics tomorrow, when I have better eyes.
-Art.

mKPV2sguR4K+DV0mV4M5Sw.jpg

I remember distinctly now, the rage inducing frustration when more falls off than you are putting on. Brushed on some strategic glue, couple C47's and a promise to myself not to touch the F%$@#&# thing until tomorrow. Plugged, wired, and I ran a heater hose back to the firewall, that I think will look better once everything is in and touched up.
-Art.

wxHCj3M0TJ2d4hsgY3z+bA.jpgv4lX6XosTxidaVf8vzWElg.jpg

Latest posts

Back