FM 1/48 Snowspeeder

Thanks Capt_Taggert.

The hairspray technique is a method used to create realistic chipping effects using the hairspray as release agent for the top most layer of paint.

In brief you:

1. Apply your base coat - In the case of my Snowspeeder it was Tamiya Neutral Grey.
2. Apply a Protective Barrier (optional) - In this case I applied a layer of Future Floor Acrylic, because my base layer was acrylic. With enamels and lacquers you probably wouldn't need this.
3. Apply a layer of hairspray - Apply a good layer by airbrush or right out of the can and let dry.
4. Apply your top coat - This layer must be Acrylic based. Let it dry for about 10 minutes or so.
5. Scratch and Scrub - Wet the surface of the paint with a bit of water. Let it soak in a bit and then start lightly scrubbing and scratching using an old stiff paint brush or tool, such as a toothpick.

The top coat should start to come away from the base coat in small chips. Just be careful as they can also come away in large swaths that can look really unrealistic.

Thats it in a nutshell. There's a really extensive thread on the Mig Productions forums that goes into greater detail. > http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3293

Latest posts

Back