First model - panel lines

millshd90

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a Revell 1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress and I've gotten everything ready to paint the exterior. However, I've held off so I could learn about panel washing and weathering

My question is do you do a panel wash BEFORE or AFTER the primary exterior color (Olive Drab), or is that just a matter of the effect you're looking for?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

hi milshd90.

Most panel line washes are applied to a model after the final paint, decals, and clear coats have been applied. The idea is to darken or lighten the panel lines in order to accentuate them. In the case of the B-17G model, unless you have scribed the panel lines into the plastic, you've got raised panel lines. In this case, you'd probably be better served by dry-brushing the panel lines rather than a wash.

I hope this helps.

Hey man,

You might also want to try pre-shading, which is a technique a lot of aircraft modelers use. Basically, you just airbrush dark lines along the panels (usually black or dark brown). Then when you airbrush the main color, it creates a slightly darker shade along those lines. If you are worried about overspray, you could easily mask the panel lines (verticals then horizontals) for tighter lines.

I've recently seen some artists who airbrush a lighter base color in the center of the individual panels just to create more contrast. Just a thought.

Best!

Latest posts

Back