First model in 42 years. How time flies!

Welcome back to the hobby. I have to admit I’ve stepped away for a bit and I’m also slowly creeping back.
That build came out really nice, I’ve thought about trying planes but just haven’t taken the plunge.

Erik

Welcome back to the hobby. Like you, I have returned after being AWOL from model making for 52 years. Much has changed obviously. Youtube has been a HUGE help in picking up tips and learning new things. With it, I would have been lost. Also, websites like Scale Model Addict are a great resource. My biggest shock was the price increase from 1972 to today . . . .what was a $10 Tamiya tank then is $50+ or more. But at the end of the day the key is having fun. Wish you many happy builds.

That is a nice looking aircraft. Re-entering the hobby after years seems to be a trend (myself included). This is one of the greatest hobbies to be in, just wish the kiddo's nowadays would give it a try. Welcome back to the hobby.

Welcome back to the addiction! Looks great. Did you take any progress photos?
Hello! I just discovered this site today in my quest for fun, accuracy, and advice on getting back into modeling after 42 years away. Here is my first model Just started the 1/700 Hasegawa IJN Akagi for my next project. Thank you!

View attachment 116019

View attachment 116020
Hey Buddy, the best advise I can give ya...practise, and more practise, which of course means buying more "stuff" to practise with...how cool is that...??!! I'm 72 as of Feb., and been building since I was 12, and to show for it, I have over 400 'unbuilt' models in the "model shop" downstairs...! It doesn't help that after retiring and hanging around the "best hobby shop in Canada", that the owner asked me to work part-time...how could you turn down an offer like that...? The "stuff" that's on the market now to aid in model building is GINORMOUS...all the paints, weatherin stuff, PE, resin, 3D parts...it's just crazy. With that in mind, there is no excuse to jump right in, learn some new tricks and have a blast trickin out yer latest kit. Start with some small "add-ons", and work yer way up to the full bore upgrade. It's fun, rewarding, and there are a TON of great folks who don't mind givin you a hand along the way.
Cheers...HAVE FUN...!!

Looks great! I was asked to give my two cents. I would say after 42 years there has been lots more resources readily available than 42 years ago. The internet has been a great resource for how to do anything that you might had not known before. Take your time and spend more time researching. Good luck on your builds, can't wait to see your results.

Welcome back to the hobby! Your re-inauguration project looks good. I also have a soft spot for WWII aircraft kits in 1:48 scale.

After some major life interruptions for the past 3+ years I'm hoping to get back into some projects myself this summer.

Hello MarinaJoe18, I am writing to you from Uruguay. The best advice I can give you is in two parts.
The first: Build everything you like, and in the scale you prefer (I build 1/48 helicopters and airplanes from 2WW).
The second: Weapon for you, you must be satisfied with what you do, what others think may help you or not...
A hug

Hello! I just discovered this site today in my quest for fun, accuracy, and advice on getting back into modeling after 42 years away. Here is my first model Just started the 1/700 Hasegawa IJN Akagi for my next project. Thank you!

View attachment 116019

View attachment 116020
¡Felicitaciones! Excelente técnica de armado para 42 de ausencia en el hobbie... Y este hobbie es para toda la vida. Bienvenido al mundo del modelismo

Welcome back.
My biggest advise would be to have fun with what you are doing. This is supposed to be a hobby but sometimes we get hung up on getting it just right for a contest or something.
I am a member of a club in Denver where are motto is "Finished is better than perfect."

Latest posts

Back