Fine Molds - Tie Interceptor

Igard

I know the Tie-Fighter is more iconic, but this is my personal favourite Tie design.

Still need to practice my construction skills. Gluing things together is becoming my weakest area, which isn't great for this hobby. ;D

Perfect kit for having fun and honing those skills. Goes together quite nicely. Had a problem with a seam on the underside, but it's not too bad.

Here's what I've done so far...

The sprues.

2012-01-30_05-07-44_641.jpg

Cute little pilot.

2012-01-30_05-21-26_688.jpg

Eek, these guns don't look too strong.

2012-01-30_05-22-39_928.jpg

Flung the cockpit together. I know the instructions call for a flat black for the arms and legs, but I felt like I had to grey it a little to provide more contrast.

2012-02-01_23-59-46_317.jpg

2012-02-08_22-07-34_855.jpg

2012-02-10_00-29-12_137.jpg

Just got to attach those flimsy guns and put the base together before painting! :D

Looks great man. One thing though...I"m pretty sure the wing frames and 'solar' panels come as separate pieces so you can paint em first...an not have to mask all those panels.

Either way...looking great. This is my fav TIE design too. Love this machine.

Hey, Scott! Thanks mate. :)

Yeah, this is really just my own preference. I don't like gluing with paint all in the way, it's alot more fun for me to mask after all the parts are together.

However, I will be painting the wings as sub-assemblies since it'll be near impossible to get into those inner sides once it's together.

Igard this is 72 scale right? I know FM is limited in the 1/48 arena but this kit would be sweet in that scale.

Yeah, wish they did this in 1/48.

I guess the good thing is, it scales with the big Millenium Falcon.

Great job... Fine mold is a great company for this kind of models.

Just give a try for the regular Tie Fighter from AMT, they are big and full of details too. :D

Nice model!
Ihave one in the cave, hope I'll have fun with it, too! ;D

I will follow your next steps with attention! ;)

I have to agree with everyone so far.
My favorite TIE design!
Although when I first saw Star Wars, the classic TIE fighter was the best star fighter design I had ever seen.
Mostly because it didn't follow any conventional fighter craft designs. In space it doesn't matter what shape your craft is.
;D

Looking forward to seeing progress on this myself.
Like some of these guys, I have one sitting in the stash waiting to go

I did it! can't wait to see more. I agree with you choice of pilot color.

Should always listen to Scott's advice. Masking the solar panels isn't really a problem, but could've been avoided had I painted the parts first.

I gave the wings a light wash before painting the solar panels. Maybe a little bit more dirty than it should be.

Here's one with the solar panels drying, and the other before masking.

2012-02-20_02-15-28_313.jpg

The body before it gets a light wash. The decals were so tiny, had lots of fun putting those on... ::)

2012-02-20_02-17-03_843.jpg

A slight concern is that I've put too heavy and too many clear coats over this, the panel lines are so shallow, they're still visible, but will the wash run into them? Find out in the next exiting episode of....

.... Igard tries to paint stuff!!!!
;D

As I suspected, the wash wasn't running into the panel lines. I ran my scriber very very gently through each groove to take away some of the clear coat, and it looks like it worked out fine. Didn't enjoy this one bit...

2012-02-20_15-42-26_42.jpg

I'll give that a bit more of a clean before I seal it I think.

Here's the inside of the wing finished. I did this on it's own to get an idea. I'll do the other solar panels altogether.

2012-02-20_04-17-32_836.jpg

Solar panels look good. Too bad about the clear coat. But it looks like you got it fixed up!

Latest posts

Back