Fine Molds 1/72 TIE fighter (updated pics!)

As a long time lurker, I'd like to present my first completed scale model. I've been painting miniatures since 2012 (mostly Warhammer 40K stuff) and recently expanded over to scale models. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and this is the first of the Fine Molds models I have completed. I also have the Fine Molds TIE Advance, TIE Interceptor, X-wing, Y-wing, and Millennium Falcon in 1/72 scale as well as their 1/144 Millennium Falcon. For my build log, head over to my blog.

The photo isn't the best because I had to use my iPhone to take it as my only memory card for my DSLR got corrupted (doh!) so I'll reshoot it when I get a new card. Enjoy!

newtie.png
tierear.png
tieflying.png
tiewing.png

Re: Fine Molds 1/72 TIE fighter

Grendels said:
Looks good!
Thank you!

I was very inspired by your 1/48 TIE fighter build on YouTube. I also followed your advice on one of your build log episodes and gave the panels a metallic sheen (I used a 5:1 mix of VMA Black and VMA Arctic Blue). It doesn't photograph well, but it looks awesome in person.

Looks great. My first kit was a cheap AMT/ERTL one - kids these days. Ha. What's the red mark by the cockpit for? And your phone takes amazing pictures!

stinkycrayons said:
Looks great. My first kit was a cheap AMT/ERTL one - kids these days. Ha. What's the red mark by the cockpit for? And your phone takes amazing pictures!
Thank you!

The decal call-outs in the instructions show two decaling options with the main difference being one has the red pentagon and the other doesn't (the other tiny decals are slightly different as well). I wasn't able to find that much information about what the red pentagon means, but apparently there is a TIE fighter bearing those markings in scene in A New Hope. I decided to use it because I thought it looked cool and I haven't seen many others out there that have it.

Scootypuffjunior said:
stinkycrayons said:
Thank you!

The decal call-outs in the instructions show two decaling options with the main difference being one has the red pentagon and the other doesn't (the other tiny decals are slightly different as well). I wasn't able to find that much information about what the red pentagon means, but apparently there is a TIE fighter bearing those markings in scene in A New Hope. I decided to use it because I thought it looked cool and I haven't seen many others out there that have it.

I found that there are many different versions of the tie fighter, the laser cannons are one area where the differences stand out quite a bit. One used light bright pegs and another used the insides of a retractable pen. So they look very different from each other.

I figured that the red pentagon was from a different version. Just didn't take the time to find out.

Glad you liked the metallic idea, I saw some of that in A new hope. So I went ahead and did it, can't find it on the studio models though.

Latest posts

Back