F-86 Sabre

Great effect! I agree with SMM it's great to see that sort of thinking.

I've been having fun learning how to use alclad as well but it's a bit hard to experiment as much as I want at $10+ per bottle!

I think it turned out great. Nice experimentation work! I'm going to keep your technique in mind when I go to do engine work.

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to do the photo's. I'm thinking this method may be a lot easier than masking for all the different Alclad shades. "Extreme Preshading" ;D

Thanks Ace, still working on what exactly I want to achieve with this effect. May end up with a dot filter after all.

Really nice progress here Moon! I think it looks fantastic!! You get a few decals, markings and some subtle weathering on that "puppy"....man you'll be whistling a sweet tune!!

This is looking great! That was a great idea you had to use different colors on the base coat to affect the Alclad coat.

Thanks guys, it's hardly an original idea. The effect just didn't turn out the way I wanted. I've moved forward and did some post coloring. Washes and filters are up next. 8)

f86416.jpg

Well....I tinted the Polished Aluminum with transparent blue and some with yellow...not exactly what I wanted to do but I think I'm getting the hang of Heat Distress!

I think I'm going to come back with the Polished Aluminum and touch up a bit to break up the large sections. make it less uniformed looking.

Moon Puppy said:
f86416.jpg

Well....I tinted the Polished Aluminum with transparent blue and some with yellow...not exactly what I wanted to do but I think I'm getting the hang of Heat Distress!

I think I'm going to come back with the Polished Aluminum and touch up a bit to break up the large sections. make it less uniformed looking.

dude, that looks so awesome, looks like the metal skin has been through a few temperature changes, its so cool!

Nice progression on this....

the paint job is interesting and your approach to is ... Novel !!!

Thanks for sharing !!! We all can learn a few thing about ALCLAD and its many uses !!!
and yes... at 10$ plus per bottle.... better you than me !! LOL ! all in good fun !!!

Later !

Norm.

Dude, that's a sweet effect!

Since you are experimenting, have you ever used Mr. Metal colors?
I've been experimenting a bit with them lately and they are BRILLIANT! You can brush them on and buff them in about 30 seconds. The Aluminum, Chrome Silver, and Stainless Steel buff up amazing. You can't tell they weren't airbrushed on.

I mention it because i wonder what would happen if you added some Mr. Metal shades under the alclads. It might 'lessen' the effect? Just a thought.

Myke I have not tried the Mr. Metal stuff, never heard of it actually.

I would be apprehisive about mixing brands like this, you know some folks call their paints acrylics when they are no where close to being acrylic. But tell ya what, you try it out and let me know what happens. ;D

I'm happy now. I hit some polished aluminum over some of the larger spots breaking up the patterns. Making it look more random.
f86417.jpg

f86418.jpg

f86419.jpg

f86420.jpg

I like it so much I started with the dry transfers. This is going to take some time!

Latest posts

Back