F-8 Crusader 1/48

Fork Virus

;DI'm throwing my hat in for my first contest. I be building the F-8 Crusader 1/48 by Revell/Monogram. It's a beautiful aircraft from the Vietnam war era. I'll be using it's naval markings. I had to use the camera from my cell, cuz my point and shoot broke.

Good luck to you all!
DSC00008.jpg

Cool ...another A/C :) I'll be watching :)

Chris.

So far I finished off the cockpit. Sorry bout the pics, my point and shoot can't really focus on the details. Detailing the cockpit was the fun part. A combo of dry brushing the raised details and air brushing the interior.
DSCN4799.jpg
DSCN4807.jpg

Update. Got the fuselage and wings built. Progress is good, but the problem I have is the raised panel lines. Especially when it come to sanding the seams when I put the two halves of the fuselage together. is there a way to repair that?
DSC00027.jpg

Okay now I just finished the painting the fuselage. The belly of the aircraft is painted using Testor's light aircraft gray and the back is coated with navy aggressor gray. The landing and gear housing is painted in insignia white. Traditional, the Crusader is painted with the light gray on top and white on bottom. The edges of the belly is usually hard outline where the gray and white meet. Instead, I blended the gray into the light gray. I choose colors that off-white and darker gray. The color scheme looks more like a great white shark. Initially, it was gonna have that traditional navy paint scheme, but my artsy side dictate's a more creative approach. Below are pic's of the classic look of the F-8 and what I painted. It looks cool to me, what do you guys think?

Blended
DSC00045.jpg

Traditional
dn-sc-88-06704.jpg

more views
DSC00047.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00041.jpg
Sorry bout the images, I'm using the camera on my mobile. The preshade did come out on the F-8, very subtle to see.

She's not the best looking plane but has something about her. Very nice and clean build and painting. Should look great in the Navy colors.

Thanx Chris, Scratchmod, and schweinhund227 for viewing and everyone else!:D Finally I'm done! Here are the final Pictures of the F-8 Crusader.

I had a great time with this build, learned a bit about this warbird, and took some chances when I weathered the F-8 Crusader.

I thought the best part of the build was building and painting the cockpit. I thought I did a pretty good job on it. The pictures were crappy cuz my point and shot broke, at the time being I had to use my mobile. By the time I got a new one, the canopy was glued on, and I used plastic cement to make sure it stayed on.

I learned some basic info of the F-8, the first supersonic aircraft under the US navy, used to take pictures of nuclear missiles and launchers over Cuba. during the Sixties and the air war in Vietnam, it was considered, "the Last Gunfighter", bolstered 4 20 mike-mike cannons. Something to do with military thinking, it was foreseen that missiles will replace the auto cannon, dogfight engagements were a thing of the past. The F-8 got replaced by the more powerful F-4 Phantom. I've seen some art and pictures depicting the aircraft as worn out and beaten-up. Rust and dirt were all over it, very rugged and reliable craft.

I took a chance and weathered the F-8, first time I ever weathered a scale model. Followed the advice of fellow modellers who posted videos on this site. I used micro gloss and satin coat for top coats. Did the pastel technique, which I enjoyed. The final Pic's are below.

DSCN4822.jpg
DSCN4845.jpg
DSCN4825.jpg
DSCN4826.jpg
DSCN4829.jpg
DSCN4834.jpg
DSCN4867.jpg
DSCN4868.jpg

Latest posts

Back