Enamel based weathering on enamel paints

amraam

Greetins
I was wonering, will enamel based weathering and washes destroy the undercoat if it is enamel based as well? I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner, so I am guessy it isn't safe to use enamel based washes on enamel coats right?

And if that is the case is there an alternative for pablnelliners on aircraft for example?

Thanks

urumomo

" I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner "

Uh , what ?
If we're talking about alkyd resin " enamels " , they cure thru oxygen absorption and become unsolvable by their thinner ( mineral spirits , turpentine ) .Extremely resistant to other solvents when fully cured .

Acrylics will dissolve in alcohols , the solvent when the paint is mixed , but obviously not the thinner - water .
Lacquers will also go back into solution with the same solvents , mostly acetone .

Enamel upon enamel is fine but wait a bit .( how long will vary with the brand and environment ) - or use an acrylic wash ; no fumes and easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol if your base-coat is enamel since the isopropyl will have no effect on it .

amraam

" I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner "

Uh , what ?
If we're talking about alkyd resin " enamels " , they cure thru oxygen absorption and become unsolvable by their thinner ( mineral spirits , turpentine ) .Extremely resistant to other solvents when fully cured .

Acrylics will dissolve in alcohols , the solvent when the paint is mixed , but obviously not the thinner - water .
Lacquers will also go back into solution with the same solvents , mostly acetone .

Enamel upon enamel is fine but wait a bit .( how long will vary with the brand and environment ) - or use an acrylic wash ; no fumes and easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol if your base-coat is enamel since the isopropyl will have no effect on it .
I tend to use lacquer paints for moat things

urumomo

So you're talking about using a wash thinned with mineral spirits atop a lacquer base-coat ? No acetone / toluene etc
You should be OK .
:D do a test on scrap

Wolf Star

Man of mayhem
It's best to use a clear coat of some sort in between that is chemically different than your base paint layers. A lot of people use Future, or Pledge Floor Care I think it's now called. I get lazy and just Testors Dullcoat sometimes. But Pledge/Future can be airbrushed straight from the bottle or carefully brushed on with a good quality brush so that it doesn't leave brush strokes.

Jim62

Pastels mixed with water and a drop of dish soap makes a nice trouble free wash. like wolfstar said, do a clear coat before you do any wash.