Enamel based weathering on enamel paints

amraam

Greetins
I was wonering, will enamel based weathering and washes destroy the undercoat if it is enamel based as well? I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner, so I am guessy it isn't safe to use enamel based washes on enamel coats right?

And if that is the case is there an alternative for pablnelliners on aircraft for example?

Thanks

" I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner "

Uh , what ?
If we're talking about alkyd resin " enamels " , they cure thru oxygen absorption and become unsolvable by their thinner ( mineral spirits , turpentine ) .Extremely resistant to other solvents when fully cured .

Acrylics will dissolve in alcohols , the solvent when the paint is mixed , but obviously not the thinner - water .
Lacquers will also go back into solution with the same solvents , mostly acetone .

Enamel upon enamel is fine but wait a bit .( how long will vary with the brand and environment ) - or use an acrylic wash ; no fumes and easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol if your base-coat is enamel since the isopropyl will have no effect on it .

" I found that enamel paints tend to be solvable basically forever by their thinner "

Uh , what ?
If we're talking about alkyd resin " enamels " , they cure thru oxygen absorption and become unsolvable by their thinner ( mineral spirits , turpentine ) .Extremely resistant to other solvents when fully cured .

Acrylics will dissolve in alcohols , the solvent when the paint is mixed , but obviously not the thinner - water .
Lacquers will also go back into solution with the same solvents , mostly acetone .

Enamel upon enamel is fine but wait a bit .( how long will vary with the brand and environment ) - or use an acrylic wash ; no fumes and easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol if your base-coat is enamel since the isopropyl will have no effect on it .
I tend to use lacquer paints for moat things

So you're talking about using a wash thinned with mineral spirits atop a lacquer base-coat ? No acetone / toluene etc
You should be OK .
:D do a test on scrap

It's best to use a clear coat of some sort in between that is chemically different than your base paint layers. A lot of people use Future, or Pledge Floor Care I think it's now called. I get lazy and just Testors Dullcoat sometimes. But Pledge/Future can be airbrushed straight from the bottle or carefully brushed on with a good quality brush so that it doesn't leave brush strokes.

Pastels mixed with water and a drop of dish soap makes a nice trouble free wash. like wolfstar said, do a clear coat before you do any wash.

Latest posts

Back