Egg shuttle....

Grendels

Well I took a break from the NX, yeah I know bad of me, but I didn't have a lot of free time over the last month or two and decided to start on something easy, so here is the first part of Hasegawa's Eggplane series version of the space shuttle. This segment I review the kit and start on construction:

Egg Shuttle part 1

Rocking the accordion. ;D

Fun is good. Looking forward to the second video after you hit it with some paint.

Everytime I see one of these egg plane, I want to do one...
Cool video

Thanks for all the comments!! The kit is fun, and I would do another again in the future. Next video up really soon.

Here is the final part. This was a fun build, and it taught me a lot about my painting skills. I don't know if it is me or the paint, so I am going to experiment with a new brand of paint with a couple of cheap models. I am going to post photos of the completed model later this week.

Egg Shuttle part 2

I have been using Testors, both the acrylic and the enamel. The wavy line at the top of the vertical stabilizer is partially my fault, but the paint played a role because some of it pulled up. When it pulls up after curing for a week, then I think I can blame the paint. Both the acrylic and the enamel have done this to me. I do not thin the acrylics when using the air brush, they spray fine without thinning. The enamels however need to be thinned.

The astronaut was painted with Tamiya, that is what I want to try next, mainly because I can now get it at a LHS. (We got a new one in town!!)

I have been watching Dreamknights videos on airbrushing and he answered one of my problems I have been having in his series. (Orange peel) This problem is from keeping the air brush too far from the model when painting. I do not always have this problem, so I can't blame this on the paint pull up. I have also cleaned the models really well before paint. One I scrubbed with ajax cleanser.

Nice concluding video Grendels. It's good to have a break once in a while and build something fun that allows for some worry free practice.

I think you will like the Tamiya paint better, I've had no real problems with it pulling when I remove the masking. Just have to keep the coats thin and light. I only let it sit a half hour to an hour before I remove my masks, then I let it cure a full 24 hrs before handling the model. If I suspect that the mask will have some problems releasing from the paint, I'll lightly score around the mask with a sharp new blade.

JMac

I also been having problems with Testors when spraying.
I can only spray for about 10-15 seconds and the paint will coat my needletip and clogs. I have to swab the tip with laquer thinner to clean and it clogs up again. I changed thinners, Isopropl ( sp? ) alchol, water, tamiya thinner, windshield washer fluid all do the same thing. So I've stopped using Testors. Tried and true Tamiya always works.
Grendels, do you burnish the edges of the tape before you spray?

Great video and build.

Yeah, I think you'll like the Tamiya too. I know I do. I really have to give Vallejo an honest try though - from what I hear once you 'get it' with Vallejo that its really good paint too.

As for painting. I totally hear you. I am never satisfied either. I guess none of us are really. It's an artist thing. For me the goal is just to set new personal best's. You did a great job, though. Keep at it.

DXM said:
I also been having problems with Testors when spraying.
I can only spray for about 10-15 seconds and the paint will coat my needletip and clogs. I have to swab the tip with laquer thinner to clean and it clogs up again. I changed thinners, Isopropl ( sp? ) alchol, water, tamiya thinner, windshield washer fluid all do the same thing. So I've stopped using Testors. Tried and true Tamiya always works.
Grendels, do you burnish the edges of the tape before you spray?

Yes I do burnish the edge. Most of this paint job came out good. Just a few spots here and there. I have one bad spot near the nose where the paint pulled up and one on the rear edge of the wing.

Paint did leak under the tape in two spots, but that was easily fixed with a brush by hand. Or by using a good marker like a micron.

I did leave that wavy line on the vertical stabilizer because I feared that fixing it would make it look worse. I am looking forward to trying out Tamiya in the airbrush. That bit of fun is scheduled for tomorrow on my next model!!

Thanks Scott, I will keep at it! And I know what you mean, I keep fiddling until I think if I do any more to it, I will make it worse.

DXM: I will post the results of my experiment in the plane section. I am building up three planes very fast to play around with the Tamiya paints. One is a solid color (SR-71) The other is mulit-colored and will require masking: 747 with space shuttle and the other will require that I use the air brush free hand: A-7 Corsair II. None of these are hard to build kits, in fact they should be fast builds. (SR-71 is done, doing a bit of fill today and paint tomorrow.) This way I can get back to the fun stuff like the NX-01 pretty fast. I am looking forward to playing with new paint!! By the way I have not had the problems you are reporting with Testors. It sprays just fine.

JMac: Thanks for the tip!!

Latest posts

Back