Droid Apps for Modelers

ModelMan

Droid Apps for Modelers

Have phone apps have been covered by anyone yet?

I've been trawling the droid market for the last month or two searching hobby stuff. There's a lot of RC and Train apps, but this was about it for us plastic modelers. My main search criteria was free and as few permissions as possible. Several of these have no ads and no permissions whatsoever!

A few paid apps I ran across included a Tamiya magazine and a couple other similar things. As the thread title says, 'droid', I know nothing of palm or apple apps. These have worked for me so far and I haven't noticed anything 'bad', but as with all apps, you decide what is right and what permission levels you are comfortable with. I make no guarantees of any kind.

So here's a look at:
Color Palette -Iromhon
(color matching and lookup, inc web colors)

Hobby Color Converter -Rospenet
(Tamiya, Revell and Humbrol cross reference)

ConvertDroid -David Orriss
(Just about any measurement converted into other measurements)

Scale Mate - Jack Mahoney
(Scale and speed calculator)

555 Timer Tool -androidarmstrong
(You tell it some values, it tells you the rest)

ElectroDroid -Demetrio Iero
(Wow! If you do any electronics for models, this is the app for you!!! I'm told that a 555 timer is included in this app)

A few others I have not covered in the vid you might find handy:
Ruler Green (Just a grid with rulers)
Smart Ruler (Sliding measurement tool)
STL View (If you use STL files and want to show them on your phone)
ModelView (Instead of STL's, this covers .obj and .off files)

And if you're a gamer, you gotta have:
DiceBag
From d4-d%, create and name a custom profile for each of your characters and each of their weapons, spells, To-Hits, Saving Rolls and just about anything else you an think of. No ads, no permissions. Amazing.

That should be enough info to get you moving in the right direction. Please post more apps here!

A lead I just got from one of my subs,
Paint Converter by Hexxus. 48kb, Free and no permissions.

Converts Citadel to Vallejo (Game and Model) and Reaper Master Series paints.

iModelKit is a pretty cool App. I can make shopping lists of colors I'd need for new builds, or just do best matches to colors I have in my collection. And their paint brand support is just phenomenal! The cheap/free version comes with ads so you can check on the latest Kardashian/Lohan/Hilton/Sheen/Brangelina shenanigans too, LOL!

Latest posts

Back