Dragon 1/35 ZSU-23/4 Shilka

Elm City Hobbies

Built this probably 5 year ago maybe. Built from the Dragon kit, Eduard photo-etch set, and Model Kasten tracks. The base is just a cheap wooden plaque I picked up somewhere, little sand and debris. The wall was made by using a simple Lego mold and poured the plaster into to give you the look of a cinder block wall. It turns out a little big for the cinder blocks....but I thought the effect was nice.

IMG_5622-vi.jpg

IMG_5624-vi.jpg

IMG_5624-vi.jpg

IMG_5626-vi.jpg

IMG_5627-vi.jpg

IMG_5629-vi.jpg

IMG_5630-vi.jpg

IMG_5632-vi.jpg

IMG_5621-vi.jpg

Always loved the look of the Shilka. Got to crawl all over one un the UK when i lived there. Now i want one in 1/72 to put on my MAZ-357. Interesting little fact on the shilka in iraq. Russian doesnt translate well to Iraqi. So they translated the russian to english and then to iraqi and put lables in english and iraqi on the interior components.

panzerace007 said:
Cool lookin Tank !! This is a Russian Tank in Iraqi service right ? Cool lookin building !!

Yeah, Russian tank in Iraqi service. Built this for a Desert Theme for some show IIRC. Had some guys tell me while I was building it that Iraq didn't have any of these in service during either Gulf war.....told him he was an idiot as there were many stories of Coalition troops coming under fire by one of these. As good as they are at taking out low flying aircraft, they are also hell on troops and light vehicles. There was one story I referred to where a Marine Sniper (won the Silver Star for this act) kept one of these ZSUs at bay by shooting out their viewports as it was firing on a platoon of Marines, in Basra I believe.

I tried to show the Russian green coming through on the hastily painted desert tan, back in the day before alot of articles came out on chipping and scratches. It was a first of many, first set of aftermarket tracks, first full PE set on a kit.

Excellent piece of work ..really like that even tho' modern isnt my thing ! I like the idea with the lego ..that looks good ,might have to investigate that ;D my daughters got loads !!

Chris.

I always had a soft spot for this AA and you did great job on it.
Cheers
Lukasz

Latest posts

Back