Does anyone just build from stock anymore?

J

Just Mike

I'm not bashing anyone here or saying that I don't like it when people add their own personal touches to their works but I'm just wondering if anyone builds kits out of the box anymore. I mean, all I see are people adding lights to their models which is great but sometime I'd like to see a video build-along of the 1/350th refit/-A without many modifications and lighting. Maybe point out the trouble spots and how to fix them.

y'know?

(if it should be thought that I'm writing this in response to any individual's work, past, present or future, I'm not.)

I'm sure there must be someone who builds stock - personally I just enjoy the little extras that I can put into a build.

I am planning a tank after the Spitfire - if I go with the T34 I'll keep it stock - If I go with the King Tiger I'll be adding Zimmerit and aftermarket tracks.

What's out of the box?
But for really well most of us just wants’ to go better and farther each time we make a model or just try something new. Making out of a box kit would be a quick an relaxing task for a change but for over a year I'm unable to make a kit like that. There are always those small things that just scream change me or make me look better. And as I don't have a strong will I'm always falling for this.
Cheers
Lukasz

Sure!

Right here in the armor forum you'll find my Hobby Boss M4 HST. Other than two small brass chains on the opened amo bin, the model is completely stock, built straight from the box.

In my last video on youtube, the AFV Club M3A3 was built OOB and then I added some scratch built stowage on the back. I didn't alter/correct anything on that kit.

I don't always build OOB, but it really depends on the topic and/or kit I'm building. Sometimes I will spend a great deal of time fixing/adding stuff, other times I assemble the kit warts and all in a matter of a couple days.

I did a OOB build about a week ago. I haven't posted it yet because I am not 100% done with it. The only thing I did to the model was a bit of detail painting with a brush and hitting it with Micron pens to highlight a few spots.

Hi JustMike,
All my builds on here are OOB.
I have enough trouble just building a model.
I'm sure I'll start scratching more details, as I learn and my skills progress.
I did try to scribe some panel lines on my seahawk ,, for some reason it didn't have any.

@Grendels--I pick up a couple micron pens a while back ...I never thought a pen could be so fine, they rock! !

bye bye sharpie

I was planning on taking a week and knocking down my stash (just so I can buy more) by seeing how many models I could build OOB in a week. Even the ones I used to build OOB I always detailed them with the paint. Actually sounds like a fun contest or group build idea. Would have to set rules as to what we can and can't do... just a thought.

RocketSilo said:
Hi JustMike,
All my builds on here are OOB.
I have enough trouble just building a model.
I'm sure I'll start scratching more details, as I learn and my skills progress.
I did try to scribe some panel lines on my seahawk ,, for some reason it didn't have any.

@Grendels--I pick up a couple micron pens a while back ...I never thought a pen could be so fine, they rock! !

bye bye sharpie

Enamel thinner will clean them up. Just make sure you are not writing on enamel paint!!!

when i first started out i built everything out of the box i didnt even bother worrying about scratch detail or aftermarket parts. Now i cant get through a build without adding something its just another fun part of the overall process

I still build some of my rust buckets OOTB. I may alter or modify kit parts and of course leave some parts off entirely. It's all in what you do with what is given...no need for all the added AM parts if you choose not to. Now a days the kits like Dragon are so detailed and give you so, sometimes too many, many parts that you can build a really nice model OOTB.
Most of my add-ons are scratchbuilt with maybe a bit of PE. My wallet isn't deep enough to buy all the goodies.

scratchmod

The Ma.k raptor on my croc attack dio is OOB,the only things i added where the small wires at the back of the feet.

The Eagle transporter I built just a bit ago only modded the decals.
Kit itself was entirely stock.

I've actually done several like that recently.

Doing OOB can be a fun way to relieve AMS (Advanced Modeler Syndrome)

Eventually I will build my 1/350 Enterprise and it will be stock. I first need to buy a coffee table big enough so I can work on the damn thing.

Yes. I have a few models that just have some Aftermarket stowage. I am quite happy with a reasonable representation of a subject. Other Modelers want a very accurate replica. I have always been at least 85 to 95% Out Of Box.

Good question.

Frank Blanton

I try to build OOB as much as possible but inevitably add some AM details. For me it really depends on the quality of the kit and how realistic I want it to be. For instance, with the B-17 I'm currently building for the contest I have gone hog wild with the details since I want to accurately depict a B-17 so I added AM gun barrels, gunsights, ammo belts, flaps, wheels, and control surfaces. If I wasn't doing a diorama or wasn't following an photos of the specific plane and just wanted a display model I most likely wouldnt have added all those details. On the contrary, all I' added to the P-47 I'm building is a resin seat because the kit came without seatbelts and I plan on having the canopy open (of course it doesn't hurt that this is one of Tamiya's best kits). With the Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet I plan to do this summer all I'm adding is a better detailed resin ejection seat, despite reading an extensive review that pointed many "inaccuracies" of the kit. Then again I'm not as passionate about jets as I am WWII prop planes and that passion factor also depends on how detailed I want something to be.

That said, I try to keep AM at a minimum and will never spend more money on details than I spent on the kit itself like some modelers do. I try to walk that thin line between details and a resonable budget and so far I've been doing pretty well

I suffer from such a hard case of convertinitis that it’s not even funny...

I think it’s quite telling that my first thought when I saw the Spring Contest announcement wasn’t “what should I build” but “what’s the most creative kit-bash I can build”.

I honestly don’t know why I feel that way. Perhaps it’s just a desire to own something that’s entirely unique. Perhaps it’s just that I truly enjoy kit-bashing. Perhaps I’m completely out of my mind...

Some kits build nicely OOB others.... Scream for attention! But more and more kits come with
a lot of goodies..... And although considered OOB as well! they rival other models with after market parts....

So.... ? It all depend !

in my personal opinion what makes modeling so cool is you can do whatever you want... i mean the Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang, and many of my other airplanes, are not out of the box... at all, in fact i probably don't even have a single plane in my collection that is out of the box. i mean sure i could totally do one... but this hobby is about having fun, and i have fun making models how i like to make them.. if ya like making models straight from the box, more power too you i'm all for it.

you see i don't want a carbon copy of everyone else airplane, i want my own personal creation, i dont want to make something someone has already probably ever made thousands of times, i want to make something of my own, thats why i don't build from the box.

Well said, Ace.
The biggest thing I'll usually change for my own builds is markings/colors

Latest posts

Back