Do You Remember Your First Kit?

ShutterAce

I do and here it is...

1stkit.jpg

My grandmother gave me this kit as a gift for what I believe was my 4th birthday. That would have been in 1970. She and I built it together on the kitchen table. We were so clueless we even glued the decals on with tube cement. LOL

I just received this one in the mail. It's a 1973 boxing and is sealed MIB. It's going to stay that way! Love it!

Can't say I remember it exactly, but it was likely my first of four attempts at the old AMT TOS Enterprise kit, way back in the mid 70s

I do remember it and I still have her:

hawk.jpg

Space 1999 Hawk. Still holding together after all these years. I think this kit is 38 years old.....

please ignore the fallen mecha around her. I was organizing at the time. It is no longer fallen.

Well, it must have been 1.974 or so, I was no more than 6 y.o.

We were always moving from one town to another town, no more that 6 or 8 months in every place…

I remember one day my father came with a small plane, I suppose it should be probably a Revell one... I only have a vague recall of it… it had two propellers, it could be between either 1:144 or 1:72. He gave me a cheap glue tube, I suppose he aided me to cut the pieces...

Of course: no decals, no paint… I got also a pretty broken propeller… well, that´s what I call a “controlled disaster”… I can´t remember any more… I suppose that the glue was flowing all over the plane like chocolate in Willy Wonka´s factory... ;D

@ ShutterAce: Man! You´ve hite me! Gluing the decals with your Grandma! Thats rational when you do not have any info, it´s OK…

@ Quaralane: do you still keep it ? ?

@ Grendels: Space 1.999 was my favourite TV show back in the 70´s… my cousin and me used to watch it together, having big time with each episode… :D :D OK, OK, we´ll take the “fallen mechas” like a “singularity” ;) … :D

Far distant recalls.
RG

Jelly said:
Well, it must have been 1.974 or so, I was no more than 6 y.o.

We were always moving from one town to another town, no more that 6 or 8 months in every place…

I remember one day my father came with a small plane, I suppose it should be probably a Revell one... I only have a vague recall of it… it had two propellers, it could be between either 1:144 or 1:72. He gave me a cheap glue tube, I suppose he aided me to cut the pieces...

Of course: no decals, no paint… I got also a pretty broken propeller… well, that´s what I call a “controlled disaster”… I can´t remember any more… I suppose that the glue was flowing all over the plane like chocolate in Willy Wonka´s factory... ;D

@ ShutterAce: Man! You´ve hite me! Gluing the decals with your Grandma! Thats rational when you do not have any info, it´s OK…

@ Quaralane: do you still keep it ? ?

@ Grendels: Space 1.999 was my favourite TV show back in the 70´s… my cousin and me used to watch it together, having big time with each episode… :D :D OK, OK, we´ll take the “fallen mechas” like a “singularity” ;) … :D

Far distant recalls.
RG

Well I have already restored two of them, the black one needs a bit of work, but nothing a good weekend won't cure. I should get to him one day. He was my first mecha...

my dad built a 1/72 scale F-15 for me once... but my first kit was a Revell Corvette C5-R Datona 24 hour car... after that was a Revell 1968 Corvette Roadster, then i had a crack at a Revell 1953 Corvette Roadster. in fact Road ace still has some of the parts from my 4th attempt a Revel supercharged 1968 Corvette Race Car converted into a 1969... the engine, side panel exhaust, rear tires and internals are from that car, the rest are newer parts.

my first airplane was a 1/48th scale Revell P-51D Mustang, it was made into the 1/48th scale Revell Monogram Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang #1

mine was a tiger tank got it from my brother when i was about 10 i remember it had some kind of an interior in the turret.

I was around 5 I think and it was either a Dorvack powered armor suit or a medieval knight figure. I've had a love for armor ever since.

1957 Corvette Gasser. I was probably around 8 years old. I can't imagine trying to brush paint an entire car body again. LOL!!!

@Jelly,
none of those old kits of mine have survived from that era.
A lot of moving, and a lot of REALLY bad models that found homes in the trash

ShutterAce, we're of the same vintage, or close, I was born on Memorial Day, 1964 (back when it was a real holiday, on the 30th, and everything closed).

My first kit was a Model T Ford, when I was 4. I think it was a Lindberg kit, but I don't remember clearly. I do remember that it was in black plastic, with a piece for the windshield, and metal rods for the axles, so the wheels would spin. I remember it as smaller than the 1/24 most car kits are, but no smaller than 1/48. I used Duco Household Cement, and my dad helped my, though he wasn't much better at building :D it was probably his first model, too.

From there, I got a kit on my birthday and at Christmas, and every time we went to visit my Nana in Allentown, we'd take a trip out to Kiddie City and I got to pick out a kit, and one of my uncles would buy it for me.

I've been very blessed, indeed, actually, when I think of it...

Mine was a Christmas gift from Grandma and Grandpa... a 1984 Nissan Fairlady 300ZX. Almost positive that it was a Tamiya kit circa 1986. How do I know? I vaguely remember the box art (stark white background), it was mostly molded in colour, and I had that thing together without a hitch within a half hour, at age 11. Who else but Tamiya could make such a fine kit that a child could interpret the Japanese instructions and get it done without any bad fits? Keep in mind that I didn't paint anything (had none at that time). Without paint, it still looked pretty good too. 2 shades of gray & black for engine/chassis/interior parts, a white body, and rubber tires.

I was hooked.

I think that pretty near every christmas or birthday after that amazing first experience, there was ALWAYS at least one model kit waiting for me. However I have to give special mention to my dad, who thought that I should get to know my Canadian heritage a little better with a 1/72 Avro Arrow, at age 13. My first model with paint!

Man, I can almost list them all! 1/72 Space Shuttle, F-19 Frisbee, F-15 Strike Eagle, F-16 Falcon, Peterbilt truck, a 'Cuda, Enterprise TOS, A, B, D, E (never finished), Klingon & Romulan Birds of Prey, Maquis ship, a Lambo Diablo, some Jag concept car, a couple MF's, a tuned Honda Civic (my first mod)...
Then the 18+ Army days: British Challenger 1, M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley, BTR-80, 2 British Scorpions, Israeli Merkava, and one of those US tracked missile launchers. Oh, and a British helicopter (Cheyenne? Ch.. something?) and an F-14 Tomcat, just to keep it interesting.

Next on the list? After a 12 year hiatus, my current War Wheels build, the Cougar AVGP. Watch for it in the War Wheels topic!

$(KGrHqMOKkME1tnQwDv5BNcqV110Nw~~0_3.JPG

YEP I SURE DO! i built this when i was 6. i was supposed to wait for help and of course i did not. it had testors glue all over it. but it did look like a truck when i was finished.

Latest posts

Back