DO 335 A-12 "Anteater"

Splashcoat

This is the old 1/72 scale Dragon kit of the Dornier 335 A-12 "Ameisenbar" ("Anteater"). The A-12 was the two-seat training variant of the Do 335 "Pfiel" ("Arrow").

Only two production models of this aircraft were completed at the Oberpfaffenhofen aircraft factory before it was overrun by American troops in April 1945. As this aircraft did not see much use before the end of the war I left it lightly weathered.

do335a1210.jpg

do335a129.jpg

do335a128.jpg

do335a127.jpg

do335a126.jpg

do335a125.jpg

do335a124.jpg

do335a123.jpg

do335a122.jpg

do335a121.jpg

do335a12.jpg

do335a1212.jpg

do-335_cvi_n__2_151.jpg

MrT said:
Very nice model!!! How much weight is in the nose?

Thanks, T. Too true, the entire nose section is filled with lead fishing weights. I must have stuffed at least an ounce in there to keep the model off of it's tail. As an added bonus, the kit features some photo-etched exhaust baffles for the rear engine... just to make it a bit more tail-heavy ;D

Thanks to all for the kind words. Looking at this build from a fresh perspective makes it harder and harder to purge my 1/72 scale collection.

NOw this is my kind of model. fantastic joB! I am dying to get that kind of finish on my 1/72 planes.

MilitaryAircraft101 said:
Wow, I need to get me some swastikas, my models look bare without them :'(

I know. I can understand the negetive connotations surrounding the swastika and how certain publications, model manufacturers and even countries choose not to allow it. But ultimately I feel it's the context of how a symbol is displayed which is more important than the symbol itself. In the instance of a scale model, I feel it represents aviation history rather then ideolology.

Which is true. Splashcoat. But, some would feel feathers being ruffled.
Me, I think it's part of the plane/tank/ whatever from the era

Yeah, we can't change the past, but we can make sure it doesn't happen again in the future. The symbols are for historical accuracy, not to idealise those properties assosciated with it, but life's life, and there'll always be a reason why not...

Nice.... I got her big cousin from Tamiya....

Can't wait to start her ! if this is a 72nd..... it sure looks bigger !

Nice job on that !!! Keep up the good work !

Norm.

schweinhund227 said:
Nice.... I got her big cousin from Tamiya....

Can't wait to start her ! if this is a 72nd..... it sure looks bigger !

Nice job on that !!! Keep up the good work !

Norm.
It's true, it is the 1/72nd version...
dsc0002sp.jpg

The trick is to photograph it from a nice, low angle ;)
dsc0003fh.jpg

Maybe one day I'll rebuild this aircraft in 1/48 - the Tamiya kit is supposed to be pretty good. Thanks for the props, Norm.

Latest posts

Back