Decal question

FW190A-8

Hello Herd,
I was hoping that someone can advise as to whether it is worth my while to try and make my own decals. I have searched the forum and read bits and pieces but I would like to know (or see a video preferably) if they work out ok or am I better sticking with the big brands.
You tube does not help with this one either, as far as I can see. I was kinda hoping that DreamKnight might have made a video on this subject. 8)
cheers,
FW190

In a nutshell, yes it's worth it. I will make a how to video....asap.

I like to scan in or grab the image on-line and resizing it in photoshop then taking the file and some laser jet decal paper to the local print shop.

The only problem I have come across is trying to print white. You can't do that unless you have a special printer. So if you are trying to make a decal for a dark surface, that can be quite a challenge. Now they do make white decal paper, but the draw back there is you have to trim the decal really well, or you get a white border.

Thanks for the fast replies men and I can't wait to see the video Scott. Seriously! I have been tempted a few times to try and make some of my own decals and I have Photoshop at the ready so all I need is to see the process on video and I will then try it myself.
Good advice on the white color as well guys. I read somewhere about an 'alps' printer from New Zealand that prints white. It may have even been on this forum I think.

Bring on the video...... It will be a great piece to add to the DIY section of the site.
I knew you guys would know the answers. Love this forum! So much knowledge here.
cheers,
FW190

Great thread, looking forward to learning more about this process too. Have ton of ideas for custom decals just don't want to waste the money going down the wrong path.

It will be really helpful to learn a vector program like , ilustrator,corel,or some of the free ones like Inkscape
photoshop is bitmap, and resizing things can cause trouble sometimes.
If a person were deciding what program to start out with , vector is the way to go.

that said ,I have seen nice decals drawn in Paint and photoshop.

also if >a forum member< really needs something special, and has artwork (preferably in Vector format).
I will be happy to print them for you , I have an Alps printer finally set back up and sitting idle.
just shoot me a message , It's my way of paying forward to the forum.
if it's not too complex I can draw it up as well.I can do complex no problem but finding time is sometimes a problem.
just let me know well in advance

Andy

You have an ALPS! Sweet.

Yes, as Andy stated vector is the way to go. Some effects can only be created in raster (bitmap/pixel) based software however all line art / text and illustrations can be done in a vector program.

I will make a video to explain some of these concepts. I print on a laser and get great results with the Micro Mark decal sheets. The only drawback in that it's can't print white.
The ALPS printer that Andy has CAN print white - a major bonus when making markings for...well just about anything.

Scott yes please do the video , Everyone can benefit from being able to draw their own decals.

I have 2 alps printers that I picked up for a good price from a business that moved up to the very expensive Gerber edge printers.I also have a vinyl cutter and can do masks, If someone needs some of those.thats how I did all the masks for my bf109 build.

The Alps does White of course thats the big deal with it , but it also does silver and gold.

I had a small vinyl/decal printing business up till last year.but it's a shame for them to sit idle.

I have thought about picking up an Alps printer. Are cartridges still available? That is what has stopped me.

yes from what I understand they are still making them(cartridges) , but not for much longer, I haven't actually seen them become scarce yet. The price sure seems to go up on a regular basis like they are tho.
If you do get a printer , hit me up I can provide you the best sources for cartridges.I have a fair stockpile built up over the last few years, I would buy a few every month or so to ease the pain.

stay away from ebay for printers or cartridges,your best bet for a printer would be the alps decal groups on yahoo.

I believe that there are still some new-refurbed available from one company( I'll have to look it up)..it's a top of the line model but they were priced around $900-1000 last I checked.

Kodak purchased the Alps Technology and pretty much buried it..I can't understand why they didn't take advantage of it, no doubt the demand is there.

Thanks guys. Fortunately, I have illustrator and Flash at the ready also. I have done quite a lot of work in Flash but hardly any in illustrator. I can't get the hang of the pen tool and those bezier curves!!! (is that what they are called?) Darn things seem to have a mind of their own.
I can hardly wait for this video. This is something that might just revolutionize my modeling. Every time I walk past those packs of decal sheets on the shelf at the LHS I pause, look at them, pretend I don't want to make my own decals then move on cause I don't know how to make em. I probably could try it myself but I would rather see how it is supposed to be done first before I wreck my printer or even worse, my airplane!
cheers,
FW190

Bezier curves - yeah tricky at first. Think of it as a curve witha point in the middle. To the left and right of the point are handles. The length and angle of the handles relative to the point affect the shape of the curve.

Best way to 'get it' is to practice drawing with them and then try to import a photo and outline stuff.

Grendels ,There are plenty out there .I should have been more clear.
There is a law in Japan that requires them to provide supply for discontinued product for a minimum of 5 years so carts will be produced untill May 2015 at the minimum. This info is directly from the Alps manufacture In Japan. So obtaining the carts is not a problem for a while.

obtaining a good printer takes some legwork , but I know people that have found them on craigslist searches for as little as $50-100..!.. my only advice is to steer away from ebay ..I have seen the same non working printers turn up more than once..

Always ask for a >>Test Print<<..it displays a band that shows the head is not defective or "banding" and also displays the cycle count (how much the printer has been used so far)...if they cant provide atleast a photo of the page (and date).. walk away. A test print only requires power to the printer so any excuses of .."I don't have it hooked to my computer right now" won't cut it.

important--- join the yahoo group(s)"alps" and "alps decals".to learn all about them.and there are always people selling working printer there.
they don't put up with shady listings and people typically provide videos and pics of proof including how many cycles the printer has been thru and quality test prints .. the printer will print that data automaticly.
plus alot of guys there are either getting out of the alps thing or have extra printers they are selling off
so a little schmoozing on the alps group is very beneficial.

or just decide to say the heck with it ..if you need some decals ,I will be more than happy to print you a set. I've already received plenty of interest/requests.

before I go ..
I will add just one more very important advice , in case anyone reading this happens across a printer.
make absolutely sure that if the printer is to be shipped to you...
The original packaging contains a specific cardboard fixture that secures the head for transit.
If the head is not secured as best as possible during shipping... it WILL be damaged. It is absolutely essential that the printer be packaged properly or carry a rabbits foot for luck.

sorry for the hijack but its important for anybody looking into the Alps printers that might read this.

carry on ...lol

OK, I might change my mind here, but it will have to wait a bit, no time at the moment, work is pilling it on deep....

Latest posts

Back