Darius Miniatures

• Thread starter ScaleModelMadman
  • Start date
Jelly said:
:)
Mmmm... arriving late, but arriving...

Ken: I like very much this post, it is really getting "technical"... it is VERY didactic, EVERY step is explained very clearly ...

Unless I´m wrong, I can see a lot of contact points between you and Mig J. weathering steps: that´s great, it helps to clarify a lot the process to me.
You´re a great teacher, Ken...

RG

Thank you, it's really great to hear this.

I started this thread not only to showcase some products given to me but I also wanted to make sure I took the time to explain what I did and why. Not because these steps have to be followed but because sometimes we stumble upon our own ideas through watching the methods of others.

8)

Chris there are indeed more figures as you mention and there are even more wedgies not on the site as well. I've seen a couple of these which brought home from Folkestone that aren't listed yet and I am working on a collaborative build with a friend on one of them now. I have no idea when they are going to be put up but there are some cool things that aren't yet listed.

Yip ...There sure is ;D, i will be buying a few more in the future . The one you are doing now is the one that really caught me ,so I got it and one that is a street section with steps leading down from the street ...kinda cool 8).

Carl Startin recently done the Tiger 1 wedgie in Military Modelling mag ....it looks sweet ,dont know if you saw that one ,the build is on the milmod website too .

Anyhoo ...carry on ....looking well smart ;D....The wedgie I mean ;)

Chris.

+10 for jelly comments ken is a great Tutor :) was his vids that got me back into the hoby.

but enough prasing ken :) the one that m interested in, well 2 actulay is the italian afv and the german half track but i think ill get the german one first and see how it goes.

i read that issue chris and im still crap at figure painting :)

pft out of stock..

but amazon have it. ill be ordering that

SMMM ,

:eek: , I came in late to this one. Thanx for th link in your other post , or I would've missed it completely ! I saw the Chipping FX on th Spanish site & was intrigued ... after seeing it in Action ..... I gotta get that Stuff ! It looks Balls to th Wall !!
Hey ... can any one give Me any tips - I'm tryin to get th Money Tree to Bloom in My back Yard .... ;D

Superior Tutorial KEN !! I saw some of these Wedgies & checked out their site. Beautiful Stuff & You My friend .... make it PoP !!

I'm with ya on th Color mapping ... I could really see it better once you put th pix side by side !!

Beautiful Job so far !!!! (Psssht... Cracks Open a Beer & passes it to KEN )

AC/DC - Have A Drink On Me - Live

Awesome Mr. Ken!!! Great pics and explanation on the mapping!! Makes things a bit less scarier and the results speak for themselves!! Might we be seeing a small SBS Vid in the near future?? ::)

Great stuff bud!! ;)

;D

So I've been a bit distracted with a few things but work continues on this project. After some filters I began applying some Dark Earth pigments. I have applied these to the base, not only to represent the ground but I have also applied them in a thin wash like mixture to a few areas on the vehicle. This will help to tie the two together and set the scene. I assume this half track was pushed up and out of the way to clear a path for the passing armor. Considering this, I assume the dirt would have been thrown up onto the vehicle a bit.

DARIUS-15.jpg

In this next photo we can see the pigments on the fender and grill and along the lower section of the hood. Once the pigments were set, I used a little Engine Oil to further support the idea of a disabled and abandoned half track. Perhaps the oil pan was tore open as it got pushed up onto the bank. Once the first coat absorbed into the pigments I applied a second coat, closer to the center and then later a third, slowly building up the color of fresh oil and also allowing the impression of it soaking into the surrounding earth.

DARIUS-16.jpg

I mixed some Woodland Scenics snow with the Wet Effects and applied it in various areas, in an attempt to portray slushy piles of melting snow. I reapplied the Wet Effects in areas where the pigments absorbed it, dulling the gloss effect and will continue to do so as the product dries until I am happy with the outcome. Often times one application of something doesn't always produce the desired effects and depending on the surrounding elements, reapplications are needed.

DARIUS-17.jpg

Lastly for today even though not complete, a sneak peak at the figure just standing in his place. I just wanted to see where I was heading and show it here as well. I think in the end, the figure will help to tell the story and is a very important part of the setting. I am by no means a figure painter but I think at least one is needed on this small scene and I make do with what meager ability's I have.

DARIUS-18.jpg

to be continued...

awsome work ken now i know what snow to use :), also you Figure is very good the Camo is exelent. Drive on!

Looking good. ;)

I keep 'seeing' streaking on that hood affected by gravity...not sure if it would be rust, or melting snow...

Would be cool if his knees, thighs, hands maybe, were really dirty...like he helped push....then again it has been there a while.

Earth pigs and oil really worked well here. Very nice.

Excellent job showcasing these products. Good stuff and incredible work!

Fantastic work as always Ken ,Im lookng forward to doing mine now ;D Are you going to make the ground a little more damp between the snow patches ,it looks a bit dry at the minute to me .

BTW ...The figure looks awesome buddy ;) excellent work on the camo !

Chris.

Incredible so far Ken!! You have nailed setting the scene I think!! I thought I liked these little wedges before....think you just sealed the deal bud!!! ;)

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the work so far and I'm glad these products are getting some attention, they are really great stuff to work with.

Scott, gravitational streaks of dirt and wet and such are planned, still working out the specifics on some test pieces before I put the brush to work on this. I'll put some muck and junk on his boots and lower pant legs but I'm guessing he came walking by after the 20,000 pound half track was pushed aside by some machinery *and not a Yank from the Boston area, a Canuklehead from bucktooth and two random guys from Maine.

*good times brother 8)

Chris, thanks and I too look forward to seeing yours. At the rate you build I would assume it will come and go before too long. Yes, I plan on getting that ground good and soggy. Those pigments are thirsty mate. ;)

T, thanks dude. Buy a few,tell 'em where you saw 'em! ;D

OH that's a half track.

Looks like a.....wait for it....lack track.

I wrote that myself. Yes I did.

Ok bro, this looks freakin awesome. yep, this is what you said you were gonna do with the wedgie, but it looks better than I thought it would. Love the snow and especially the oil effects on the ground. The oil and wet effects from AK work great with pigments, and you can work in layers to get the right effect your after. I did some of this type of experimenting with the chevy.

Keep it coming bro, and can't wait to see it in person. Oh yeah, I have the stuff for you, just have to make out a time and day to meet.

Rob

i sent these guys a mail asking about sending me one and havent had a responce yet ;(

Latest posts

Back