Crimson snow! - 1/18 SW vingete

Solander

Hi, guys!
As I've promised - short waiting till me starting a new proj. ;)

First a short informational intro on the story of my growing to start this build.
Two Big Spring Contests ago Scott Girvan had been building an imperial speeder bike, thatturned out outstanding (you should definitely go check this thread if you've missed it that time http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,5597.0.html), and I've seen a ton of incredible solutions for that old-good AMT kit following his build.
Having come in the end with the RotJ - version of the bike and the scout, Scott however has had some in the beginning of the project ideas of making a dio, showing wampa attacking a snowtrooper who rides the bike on Hoth. And this plot hasn't come out of my mind ever since.
How cool is the idea that if wampa had hidden in the snow to kill Luke's taun-taun, it can also hid in the snow to suddenly attack a flying by speeder bike, smashing the pilot with the giant arm, and that this action could be presented in a dio? Imho, pretty. And this is what I am going to come up in the end with.
So, Scott, if You are reading this thread, man, please know how thankfull I am to You for this idea and the huge inspiration You had caused on me with your build!

What always frightened me while approaching this project was the creation of the wampa. I am just absolutely confident I am now so good at sculpting, and the methods similar to shown here http://phoxim.de/wolfgang_herma_wampabau/wolfgang_herma_wampabau.html - well, I am quite uncertain that I have the skills to achieve so good result going this way either.
But all my concerns were taken away, when I've got this:

IMG_4378.jpg

It is a bust from GentleGian, and it's pose..well, just ideal for what I have been imagining. After that ideas changed into planning the project for real.

The only problem, is that this wampa is 1/18 scale. Too big for the majority of common scales, but still too small for the AMT speeder bike and it's rider. But here on stage come the SW action figures by Hasbro, which are... exactly 1/18 as well. That was definitely a lucky ticket for me :)
To accompany the wampa I've picked the bark speeder - it was briefly seen in Episode III, and is commonly used in the Clone Wars series

IMG_4374.jpg

This toy is overall very good for converting into a scale model. It has accurate shape and proportions, unlike many other Hasbro's vehicle toys + plenty of detailing and modiffication possibilities, which I certainly couldn't pass by ;)

To make it more clear on what I am going to do (mostly for myself :)) I've done a quick draft. Hope that not too many of you, folks, would desire to cut your eyes off with a fork after seeing it, and yes, I know, I am a horrible painter ;D

IMG_4371.jpg

To start with, I've dissasembled the bike, and got rid of all the toy-elements. This bike had an inertion-wheel to ride on the floor and a huge housing for it, that I had to get rid off to gain the accurate look. Still some rough edges left that I'll have to deal with later, but the starting point is passed.

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

Next I'm going to assemble back the main parts again, and see what can I do with mounting this all together.

Wampa : "I've got some clone to diner !" :)

Cool project.
Working the diorama to reproduce the Ice will be a real challenge. You'll have to deal with transparencies, blue and white colors, snow...

We'lle come to this eventually. I can't wait to see what you'll come with :D

YOULI said:
Wampa : "I've got some clone to diner !" :)

Cool project.
Working the diorama to reproduce the Ice will be a real challenge. You'll have to deal with transparencies, blue and white colors, snow...

We'lle come to this eventually. I can't wait to see what you'll come with :D

Well, my main idea is that there was some heavy snowing before the events in this little dio take place, so that the wampa could hide in the thick layer of snow to prepare a trap, sort of like it did in the beggining of the ESB for Luke and his taun-taun. That gives me some moral right to work heavier on the snow and less on the harder things like ice and that blue-white transparancies You've mentioned :) Still, You're right, going to figure that all out more closely at the timeI approach the base making.

On the project's progress:

Today is going to be a pretty big update, 'cause since the last one I've been pretty hard on superdetailing everything to help this bike get rid of its toyish past and meet the life of what can be called a scale model :D

Here is the overall look from the top angle

IMG_4387.jpg

What made me extremely happy, was that I had managed to insert the central bulk into the wampa's paw without the need to cut the first one into halves. The paw is made of some resin not too hard to temporarily bend out the fingers and put the bulk in there, just the way I have desires, yay!

IMG_4388.jpg

As I've learned, the structural bulk is actually what is left when the two side panels covering the machinery on the bike's nose are taken away. So I've put the details inside there with control cables and stuff to simulate what can be seen on the CG model from RotS.

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

I've also desided to add some railing and a pair of cargo-rucksacks on the both sides of the tail, just to give some more interest to that area

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

The controls and pedals were covered with more and more layers of different junk untill I've reached the desired busy realistic look, that can also provide some cool ways for weathering in the future when it comes to that

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

Here is the underside of the speeder. A fully scratchbuilt exhaust nozzle has been placed where the inertial wheel housing had been previously located with different small hatches, intake grills and panels for giving the area some extra detailization as well.

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

Finally, I've scratchbuilt the new thinner maneuvering foils

IMG_4399.jpg

And here is the clone trooper. Working on him, I wanted to gain the mixed style between the prequel-era clones, scout-trooper from RotJ and the snow-trooper from the ESB.
For that, I've given him some extra detalisation like the boot-holster, additional plating on the helmet and the snow-troopers fabric elements I've made of two-component Tamiya putty with semulation of high-speed movement waving on the wind. The left hand has also been cut out and reposition to depict his reflectory covering from the attacking beast.

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

Thats all I've done for now. In the area of assembling/detailisation I've got only to add the maneuvering foils and the laser-cannons attached to them. After that I would be able to turn to making the vingette's base.
Thanks for looking!

This is looking fantastic Solander. I love the use of the Gentle Giant bust-up for this...perfect companion. Star Wars never gets enough "in-action" dioramas, so this is a pleasure to see come together.

Alright, guys, haven't been here for ages - both in this topic and on SMA as a whole.
I'm very sorry for the lack of updates, but I was full in changing my job, and the free time has been very tight.
In order to be in time for my local modeling convention, I had forced this build and finished it in only 4 nights. Unfortunately, I had no time even to make some WIP photos.
I promise that now, since I am already settled on the new job and thing seem to return back to normal, my next build will be properly provided with a good WIP-diary.
As for now, please enjoy the final pics of this my small proj.
Won the gold on that convention previously mentioned in the sci-fi dio cat. btw.
Hope You would like it as well, folks ;)

32.jpg

28.jpg

27.jpg

26.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

13.jpg

Latest posts

Back