Creating a realistic dirt base

starwarsgeek

I created this tutorial for another website where I'm a staff member [shameless plug] www.procustomizers.com [/shameless plug] and thought I would share it here... maybe some of you guys can use it.

For one of my projects for the upcoming charity auction, I decided to make a small diorama of a derelict AT-AT Walker that has become an Ewok home. I decided to make a base that has some dirt area, where the AT-AT Walker will be standing, and then a small hill with some grass in the back.

Here is the steps I took to make the dirt. I'll add something else for the rest when it gets completed.

Step 1: I have the base with the raised area that will become grass later on, and have painted the base area with a brown.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Step 2: I take a small bucket and make a mixture of Elmer's glue and water. I don't have any kind of ratio, I just pour a batch of glue and then add water till it looks kinda... milky.

003.jpg

Step 3: I add a liberal amount of kitty litter. Again, I don't have any kind of ratio or anything, just add a few handfuls of litter. Make sure it's the non-clumping kind, as it will... clump when you add liquid to it.

004.jpg

Step 4: I mix in some brown paint. The reasoning behind this is that it will simply save a step later on down the line. You don't need to add any paint, but then you will need to paint the entire mixture once you apply it to the base.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Step 5: Start adding the mixture to the base. I spread it out fairly thin, but not too evenly. It's supposed to be natural dirt, and will have small valleys and hill areas to it.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Step 6: Continue covering the base until no more of the original brown base area is showing. I mix up small amounts in the bucket, and apply several different batches to the base. The glue will dry somewhat quickly, since it's really just Elmer's glue. And if it dries while it's in the bucket, you're pretty much screwed unless you want to have some big clumpy rocks, lol.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

(It can also be used to make fake Tacos if you work in the restaurant business, LOL. Now I want tacos :drool:)

You can go back over the top of the dirt with more of the same color, or a highlight color if you'd like. I will most likely add some more dirt around the feet of the AT-AT Walker once I add it to the base, but for right now, this is it.

I hope you can use this idea to make some dirt for some custom bases for your figures and models :D

Cool. That's a good idea. I can see it looking quite realistic for earth that is turned up - like when an aircraft plows across the ground. hmmmm.

I'm a member on that forum too - just joined a couple weeks ago. I have the large (1/6) hasbro speeder bike and scout that would make for a fun repaint someday.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Scott Girvan said:
Cool. That's a good idea. I can see it looking quite realistic for earth that is turned up - like when an aircraft plows across the ground. hmmmm.

Yeah, this does look a little "unsettled" for dirt. I was thinking of doing some experimenting with the idea though, like laying some wax paper over the top and using a hot iron to maybe flatten it out a bit better. Not sure how it's going to work, so I don't want to do that with this base. But some time down the road a bit if I get a chance.

I'm a member on that forum too - just joined a couple weeks ago. I have the large (1/6) hasbro speeder bike and scout that would make for a fun repaint someday.

Cool! Can't wait to see what you can do with that bike. I have a few of them sitting around and just need some time, I want to do the same thing. Perhaps using this basing idea along with some fake plants/trees to make a neat little dio display.

Unsettled, yes but totally appropriate for certain terrain. I like the technique and plan on buy some litter today!

Got the 1/6 speeder bike on ebay a couple years ago. I think I paid around $70. It's big and great level of detail, just needs a better paint ob and weathering...someday.

Latest posts

Back