Compressor dilema

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
Well fellow addicts I am wondering if you would be willing to share with my your compressor setups and let me know how pleased you are with what you have and if you would recommend it or something different for a hobbyist such as myself.

I have been contemplating the Iwata Jet pro, but am wondering if someone such as myself could get by with a smaller/cheaper unit. I want to buy a quality product that will last me for years to come an provide consistent use.

I have also looked at the badger units and have scoured the internet looking for a good comparison of them but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Really does depend of ya budget but IMO the essentials are an air tank and a decent regulator and water trap.
If you are somewhere damp or humid having and inline water trap at the brush end.

While a tank is nice, it isn't necessary if you have a proper compressor.

I use and sell the Harder & Steenbeck Euro Tech 10A Compressor, which I believe is made by Sparmaxx, (whom also make the Iwata compressor, as well as many others).

Comes with a water trap, regulator, and braided hose with Quick Connect. Super quiet, and has an electric switch, so your compressor isn't running all the time, only when you need it.

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=166_167&products_id=2545

I bought an Iwata Power Jet Pro last December and have been extremely pleased with it. It's very quiet, the spray is nice and even, and now that I've just ordered an additional AB to complement my Badger Krome , the second connector is going to come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TLSYB2/

I bought one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Studio-Series-Single-Compressor/dp/B000BQKMW4 about 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time and it still works like the first day I got it. I used to have one of the larger compressors with the air tank from Harbor Freight and while it worked great it was just too loud and cumbersome. This one is really quiet. I can spray any time day or night in my house and it doesn't bother anyone.

If you plan on sticking with the hobby I would say its definitely worth it to fork out the cash for a quality compressor that suits your needs.

hope this helps.

Thanks gang. Price is not really the issue, although I don't want to pay more than i need too. I have come to realize that this hobby can be expensive at times :)...

I guess I have some contemplating to do. I am assuming though that the ones with the little tanks, such as the jet pro provide a more consistent pressure flow?

Ian said:
I bought an Iwata Power Jet Pro last December and have been extremely pleased with it. It's very quiet, the spray is nice and even, and now that I've just ordered an additional AB to complement my Badger Krome , the second connector is going to come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TLSYB2/

I bought one of these over a year ago, and have been happy with it. Here is a review I made:

Iwata power jet pro review

It is more of a compressor than I needed, but the dual set up was cheaper at the time of purchase than a single one would be.

I mainly bought this because my daughter was using an airbrush for hours at a time and it was burning up the tankless compressor I had. This one is rock solid and I don't think I can burn it up.

Thanks Grendels, it is funny you referred to this video... As THIS VIDEO is what made me start drooling over getting one of these. But I can't seem to find one that comes with the cool hair yours came with :)... I think I will get this one, as you bring up a good point. My son has a great interest in art and models and I can see him take a liking to Airbrushing...

Decision made!

Grrr. Now i check my email and see a buddy of mine just emailed me back and said to go with the Badger Aspire it is less expensive and just as good. .GRRR now to research a bit more.. He says I could save $150 or more... Although i did find at hobbylinc.com the Power jet pro for only $356, but it is back ordered.

I went back and forth between the two of these, the Iwata powerjet and the badger. I went with the Iwata after reading a bunch of reviews.

I never did find anything wrong with the badger compressor. But I am pretty sure that badger doesn't make their compressors, just contracts them out. I will be corrected if I am wrong.

I think you are right about the Badger compressors. Oddly enough I ended up going with the Paasche DC6006 http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/Compressors/Compressors/dc600r . I made a decision that the Iwata was just too much money for me as i could get the TC910 or the DC600r for 200 bucks less.

The reason for choosing the Paasche was simply that it was reported (at least in all my research) to be identical in performance and had a bit higher PSI level and that it was a bit quieter too. I also found it to be the less expensive of the two. I figure for what I am doing it should suit me and my son just fine. I don' see us fighting for compressor time anytime soon so the additional AB connection was not a big deal for me.

I hope to give a review on the compressor once i get it. I will be traveling quite a bit the next two weeks so not sure when that will be...

P.S. Grendels my research on the internet found your Iwata review referenced MANY MANY times... You are linked to on a lot of boards out there 8)

Well it arrived today! It was also much heavier than I expected. Hopefully that is due to the solid craftsmanship and durability of the compressor.

IMG_20131212_160545_zpsx7h3tqjd.jpg

IMG_20131212_160709_zpstjgfsair.jpg

I got this a week or two ago for larger jobs, as my Badger Renegade is really built more for detail work than priming and clearing. So now I can finally give it a good workout.

IMG_20131212_173041_zpsfjc1rx14.jpg

Kind of a bummer it doesn't really fit in the supplied holder. Would think since they were both from the same manufacturer it would. Oh well...

IMG_20131212_173806_zpsiu7jt2ei.jpg

As you can see my Renegade fits rather well...

IMG_20131212_173912_zpsbkzxsuxs.jpg

The compressor came with an additional bracket for holding non gravity brushes, which I installed and seems to hold the Talon good enough

IMG_20131212_180144_zpssigwgb44.jpg

So I have only had the compressor for an hour or so, but it works well so far. Quick to fill and consistent pressure, I have only noticed a 1-2psi fluctuation at least from what I can tell on the dial. It also seems to keep up rather well with the constant air flow, as I sat there for about 3 or 4 minutes with the AB wide open and only kicked on a couple three times. Pretty solid.

Only caveat is it is louder than I had hoped. I don't have a good frame of reference as I have never had a hobby compressor and have been using my shop compressor up till now. While it is no where near the volume of my shop compressor it is still a bit more than I expected. Grendels video of his Jet pro at least from what I can tell through the computer screen seems a bit quieter, even though most reviews said the Paasche 600r was the quietest in its class at leat decibel level wise.

It might just be I had my hopes set too high for the compressor. While with my mancave door closed I can barely hear it in the bedroom across the hall. Maybe that is quiet.. And I my expectations are too high.

Anyway can't wait to get in to a good airbrush session or two over the weekend and see what its like to be able to just stay at the bench when I need the AB, instead of having to pack everything out to the cold shop to spray.

Will let you know in a week or two how things turn out. But so far I am pretty pleased. Might just be the best $230 i have spent yet in the hobby.

Latest posts

Back