Colour charts - Tamiya : VMA

TiM

Hi all,

I'm starting the painting for my first model - the humvee in the group build, and I'm embarrassed to ask something so basic but an hour searching hasn't turned up an answer through google....

Tamiya model - tamiya paint ref.
TS-61(XF-67) Nato Green
TS-62(XF-68) Nato Brown
TS-63(XF-69) Nato Black

Now I have quite a lot of Vallejo paints, including the Model Air range, but I can't find a comparison chart to give me an equivalent or near enough from Tamiya-Model Air. A lot of the VMA colours are similar so I don't want to just pick a random green & brown...

If anyone could point one out or even if anyone has the Tamiya colours and would be prepared to spot a bit of the paint onto a postcard it would be a great help! ;D

There are a few comparison charts that I use, you may me able to get a match there. First up is the Ultimate Paint Conversion Chart http://www.paint4models.com/. You can either download the PDF file or run it directly on your web browser. To use it, simply click what matches you'd like in your chart (like FS 595, Model Master, Humbrol, Valejo, etc) then put in the color you are looking for in the "search for" box then click search. It will then list all the matches to what you are looking for. I use that one the most, as its pretty universal.

Vallejo also has its own chart if you want to get a bit more specific. Its available as a PDF file...

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/pdf_web/CC073_rev03.pdf

I hope these help.

Hey there Tim,

I ran into the same problem when I did my USMC LAV-C2, trying to match up Vallejo colors with the Tamiya NATO colors.

I have been using this color chart for a couple of years....I haven't found anything that even comes close to it's completeness.

Ultimate Paint Conversion Chart

It will allow you to "Click" on and off a multitude of different manufacturers of paint.

Now...here in lies the problem. The reason you haven't found anything is that there are actually no direct matches in any paint line, to the Tamiya NATO colors!! To which I am almost wondering now if the Tamiya colors are actually right!!

Looking at the Markings and Color sheet that came with the LAV-C2, the colors they suggest are:

For the Green:

Gunze #312 Green, which compares to Vallejo Air #95 Pale Green, or Vallejo Model #974 Green Sky

For the Brown:

Gunze #43 Wood Brown, which compares to Vallejo Air #79 Tan, or Vallejo Model #874 US Tan Earth

For the Black (which is really a black grey):

Gunze #196 Black Grey (not on the chart), but would compare to Vallejo Air #56 Black Grey, or Vallejo Model #862 Black Grey.

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys, I had stumbled across the ultimate conversion chart but was stumped when it didn't show anything... I also looked at the Vallejo site chart for hints and had drawing a puzzled frown from there too.

I have the #56 Black grey and when I pot a drop of all my colours on a sheet of white paper thought that might be a good one for "not quite black" ;D

Yeah the Ultimate chart take a little bit to work it....

Choose your paint you want to compare, and at the top, click on the column header for the paint number of the line you are comparing (or the paint name, but I find it easier to go by number). Do that twice, and the paint should be lined up in ascending numerical order. Find the number you are looking for, and then scroll left or right to make the comparison of that color to another line of paint (depending on what you have clicked)

What prompted me to look for the NATO colors was I had a couple of bottles of Tamiya Nato green and brown left over, but no black....so I had to find a Vallejo equivalent. I normally use nothing by Vallejo now, but had the left over bottles, and figured I should use them up.

Initially I thought the black grey wasn't actually black enough...but once it dried (and subsequent layers of washes, dust and dirt over top) it looked spot on.

Thanks for coming back with that, I can now get the ultimate paint comparison to work, before it was a case of scrolling endlessly down the lists...

Coming from a figure painting and terrain background I never tend to paint anything 'black' actually black, if you follow so the Black grey was a first choice from the colours I have.

Now I've ordered some more including your recommendation plus some Woodland Scenics for me base 8)

Update - parcel has arrived in time for the weekend so back in business with the painting... thanks for the help on right colours. ;D

Latest posts

Back