Color Modulation + Weathering

collin26

If anyone here is a bit afraid of jumping into color modulation or unsure how the effect will look before weathering & after weathering......
Here are a few pics. of a Panther that was painted in the Color Modulation style and only weathered in the glacius plate.
DSCN0672.jpg
DSCN0671.jpg
You can see in the images, the difference between the front hull plate and all other areas of the vehicle. The extreme color shift is toned down quite a bit by weathering steps.
Hope this is helpfull and encouraging!

Very nice . Colour modulation can work really well when you get the hang of it and dont over do it .You seem to have it nailed :),look forward to seeing the finished article .

Chris.

Ian, I believe I saw you working on this one!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Saw some of what was going on but that is great! Something else to put on the list!! ::)

That looks absolutely stunning! I mainly model and weather aircraft but could you tell me how you achieve the dark paint chip effect and scratches, they look so authentic. Its an effect I'd like to try and use around engine cowlings and exhaust manifolds.

ballsnchunk

That looks awesome! Very nice details, very subtle. How do you do the paint chips? Like grey paint over everything?

Appreciate you showing CM this way. Its one of those things you have to do "on faith": might look completely wrong at first but as you show the final product is awesome.

Ballsnchunk said:
That looks absolutely stunning! I mainly model and weather aircraft but could you tell me how you achieve the dark paint chip effect and scratches, they look so authentic. Its an effect I'd like to try and use around engine cowlings and exhaust manifolds.

ballsnchunk

I can't speak for IAN , but I believe he has used the same method. It's really simple & easy to achieve. All you need is the Vallejo SS Camo Black/Brown #822 - Model Color. Or the Flames of War ( same stuff) German Camo Black/Brown - it has the same # just has a Flames of War label on it.

That's it ! Use a small brush, I build 1/35th & for chips I use a 10-0. It can also double as th 1st. Rust layer on Airplane exhaust !! Happy Modeling !!

I can't speak for IAN , but I believe he has used the same method. It's really simple & easy to achieve. All you need is the Vallejo SS Camo Black/Brown #822 - Model Color. Or the Flames of War ( same stuff) German Camo Black/Brown - it has the same # just has a Flames of War label on it.

That's it ! Use a small brush, I build 1/35th & for chips I use a 10-0. It can also double as th 1st. Rust layer on Airplane exhaust !! Happy Modeling !!
[/quote]

It can't really be that simple surely :-[ I'll get hold of some of the vallejo and give it a try. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

Forgive a noob for asking, but even though I’ve been painting and assembling various models for nearly twenty years it’s only within the last year or so that I’ve really begun working on my painting skills. Didn't even have an airbrush until a few months ago (how I survived this long without one I'll never know).

Anyway... The point of this is that you’ve painted the hull with slightly different shades of the same paint, right? So, what’s the difference from using the same shade on the entire hull and then highlighting some areas? And how do you determine which area should be painted in what colour? A highlighting simply picks out the raised areas, but that’s doesn’t seem to be the case here...?

I mean: it’s looking incredibly cool, I’ll have to admit that, but I don’t really see the “trick” behind the technique...

Not to speak for Ian, but there really is no trick to the modulation. It simply provides a value break up of the various areas of the model, to make the finish more interesting and add depth to the look. It's a lot like highlighting, but on a broader scope, instead of just the raised details. Like all finishing techniques, subtlety is the key.
I look forward to seeing more of this model as Ian certainly has the technique down pat.

aim9guy said:
Not to speak for Ian, but there really is no trick to the modulation. It simply provides a value break up of the various areas of the model, to make the finish more interesting and add depth to the look. It's a lot like highlighting, but on a broader scope, instead of just the raised details. Like all finishing techniques, subtlety is the key.
I look forward to seeing more of this model as Ian certainly has the technique down pat.

That makes sense. I'm going to give this a try right now on a tank I'm working on. I'm very inspired to expand my skills!

Latest posts

Back