Cleaning plastic suggestions...

mr lucky

I just recently started building in 1/35 and 1/32 and I was wondering what everybody/anybody uses to clean plastic AFTER all the sanding and mold lines have been removed. I like to remove the majority of the parts from the spur so I can sand and remove lines, but these little pieces are a pain to try to clean. I've used a tea strainer in the past, whipping it around a bowl of dish soap. But I wasn't sure it there is a better technique or some sort of spray cleaner that would work. My other concern with the dish soap is they seem to have all kinds of scents and lotions added to them to make them more attractive. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Erik

I never clean plastic save after sanding. Then I just dust it off and maybe a quick wipe with a damp Windex cloth. I've never had a problem. I think people got the resin kit mold release confused with injected polystyrene plastic and just became paranoid over the past few years.

i clean my model after its built into its subcomponents buy submerging in a a small tub of water with dish detergent and scrubbing gently with a soft brush. this way small parts are already affixed to the kit and less likely to get lost. this removes all the dust and finger grease left behind.

its true that the mold release agent may not be a big factor in styrene kits, but finger grease is what i worry about most

I just use Nail polish removed on a Q-tip, I mainly clean the big areas the small fragile parts are fine,

Spud, does nail polish remover work to clean the glass windshields and windows up if you get any glue on them when gluing them in ?

Thanks for all the input everyone. I tried a little Simple Green mixed some water and it really did a nice job. It gave the plastic a nice tooth and the primer really held nice.

Latest posts

Back