Build question on Revell 1/48 F-14D Tomcat

Murt

I'm at the stage in my build where I'm ready to paint the air frame. I have some questions about the assembly of the model with regards to painting. The instructions say to put the wings in then glue the two halves of the fuselage together. I would really like to be able to open a close the wings however I have concerns with assembling the model this way. For one I won't be able to paint the entire wing this way however that shouldn't be a major concern since I would paint them opened up so you wouldn't be able to see anything that was no painted on the wings.

My biggest concern is ruining the finish on my paint work when I attempt to close the wings after they have been painted. I've found a few builds online and it seems like everyone has painted the model with the wings off then somehow managed to install them once the wings have been painted.

I have my doubts this would actually work. The wings were hard enough to get inside and working as is. I feel like I would scratch the model up trying to do this. I saw one person that cut out a portion of the wing so it would slide in easier but they glued it in placed.

What would be the proper way to do this?

What I have done in the past is assemble the kit as per normal. Then with the wings either in, or out, paint the area near the where the wings go into the body, then let it dry. Once dry move the wings to the other position, and then paint he rest of the aircraft.

Helps if you decide on how you are going to display the wings, and then paint the opposite position first.

I've decided to go ahead and glue it together with the wings in. I will try painting the wings with them in the open position then get a good solid protective clear coat on the model and try closing them. If it messes the paint up I'll just regulate the model to having it's wings closed and hang it from the ceiling.

However you plan to display it, paint the opposite wing position first and let it dry before moving them.

IE: If you plan on displaying it wings extended, paint them closed first, and visa versa if you plan on displaying them closed, paint them open first.

Varnish coat wouldn't hurt it either, would give it an extra layer of protection. Thin paint coats, shouldn't be a problem.

Another way to look it this if it messes up the paint I have a good reference for weathering that area to make it appear like there is grime and grease there from the wings moving.

Latest posts

Back