Build Log: ED-209 Stop Motion Armature

That printer's going to help you a LOT on this build.
Means not having to farm out parts work

Dark Kyp said:
That printer is great! :eek:

The precision is fine, I really like that! 8)

Thanks sir!

That printer's going to help you a LOT on this build.
Means not having to farm out parts work

Yes, it's very helpful having the means to do things myself. ;D

Quick update:

After printing the toe, I was unsatisfied with the hard, angular look. The studio model clearly had a more curved appearance. It bugged me that mine wasn't curved. So I revisited my 3D model.

Before going further, please allow me a moment to vent: To get this far in the build I researched for 1 freakin' month. I reverse engineered the armature from two freakin' b&w photos. I setup a small machine shop in my freakin' garage. I taught myself how to freakin' machine metal. Most recently, I built a freakin' 3D printer. None of this freakin' work was harder than creating these freakin' curved surfaces in freakin' SketchUp.

Thank you. I'm better now.

Here's a comparison of the old vs. new:
ED209_r5_3_skp_-_SketchUp_Make_zps354e3699.jpg

And here's an in-process of the shin shroud and finished toes:
ED209_r5_3_skp_-_SketchUp_Make2_zps7f4f24a0.jpg

If wasn't so late, I'd print the toes. But not tonight. Another update will follow in the next few days.

Hi All,

A long time has passed with no updates. I had to take a break and handle life stuff. I picked the ED back up this week.

Since my last update, I've been realizing the potential of the 3D printer. I can print nearly anything. It's really a huge asset in my tool set. With that, it's only as good as my 3D design. Up to this point, I've relied on Sketchup to design the ED209 armature. Sketchup has been great for what it is and it does it's job very well. But it does not export very cleanly to .stl format, which is the standard 3D printer file format. My model is also not a true solid model in Sketchup. This is the primary reason Sketchup does not export .stl files well. So, I've spent my downtime learning a new design tool - Autodesk Fusion 360. Fusion is a true parametric-based, solids modeling application. It exports to .stl VERY well. It's also free for the hobbyist. I'm sold. The process of re-design in Fusion forced me to evaluate some of my original assumptions about the dimensions and construction of the armature. I believe this model to be more accurate to the original. Again, the Chronicle pics were invaluable.

Here's my new model:
ED209_Design_zps7bad050c.png

Another thing I did in my downtime was think about my approach to this build. Machining the parts has been a blast. It's my goal to use this build as a learning project, teaching myself to machine. So far it's been a successful journey towards that goal. One of the things I've learned,though, is that machining is a slow, laborious process where one mistake can scrap hours of hard work. This can be frustrating to say the least. I think I've found a better way.

With my 3D printer and new design, I have the ability to rapidly prototype parts and make assemblies much faster than machining them. As I'm working out the mechanics of an assembly, I can design in Fusion and send the design straight to my 3D printer. I can hold a working model in my hand in a fraction of the time it takes to machine the same model.

So with a new 3D model and my printer, I set out to resolve the design for Ed's knee and shocks. To be clear, I will machine a portion of this design for the final part. But while I'm figuring dimensions and mechanical linkages, I save myself tons of time and frustration and I end up with a much better product by using the 3D printer! So here's the eye candy:

These are the printed parts, true to the Horizon vinyl reference. The Chronicle pics revealed some inaccuracies in the Horizon version. I guess it's safe to say that the Horizon kit was not take directly from the movie prop. Even so, I think the overall dimensions of the Horizon kit are good. So onward with no loss of sleep...
ED209_BuildLog_104_zps71f52628.jpg

Here's the completed assembly with working shock absorbers!
ED209_BuildLog_103_zps9274df4a.jpg

ED209_BuildLog_102_zpsf98c5610.jpg

ED209_BuildLog_101_zps97f3f114.jpg

And here's the entire slide assembly mocked up:
ED209_BuildLog_105_zpsa6274c6a.jpg

ED209_BuildLog_106_zpsd20603bd.jpg

ED209_BuildLog_107_zps39d9c7cd.jpg

And there you have it. I'll make steady progress for the foreseeable future. Of course, I'll keep this thread updated as regularly as possible. Thanks again to everyone for all the kind feedback. I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back