Breaking down super glue?

Hey guys i recently bought a half finished model from some one, and was wondering if there was a way to dismantle it. To do that i need a way to disolve the super glue. Any thoughts? Soapy water? I ready acetone for the glue, but i think it might damage the kit. Its a revell star trek kit. any advice would help. Thanks!

You can buy super glue debonder, but try some nail polish remover, supposed to dislodge CA from fingers, but I have never tried it myself.

The main reason people recommend nail polish remover is because it contains acetone. Well, except for the nail polish remover that doesn't, but that wont work on the super glue. ;D

Some acetone comes in plastic jugs and plastic squeeze bottles, but I believe those are Polyethylene based plastics and I'm thinking acetone may damage Polystyrene plastic found in models.

I would put a little on a small brush or q-tip and try on a sprue or underside of part. It will give you an idea of what kind of working time you have before it does major damage, which may be long enough for you to separate the parts.

If you do try acetone, make sure it's all washed off as any residue will damage the parts - you wouldn't want to come back the next day to a crazed or melted model :eek:

Latest posts

Back