Bismarck 1/400 Papermodel

Short Update tonight.
I've been working on the Bismarck's Arado for the last couple of days.

Arado%201_zpsz2sdyohm.jpg

The plane itself is almost done and have been working tonight on the pontoons.
In order to give the wings better shape, Thin strips of card were inserted inside the wing.

Arado%202_zpsvae84kyz.jpg

Still have the supports for the pontoons to build yet.
Tomorrow I'm going to the Aquino Tank Day and Hobby Show. So that will limit any modelling. As long as it does not rain.

Jim

Yes she is a small one, Patrick.
This is the smallest aircraft I've ever built. There are some who thrive on these micro scale aircraft builds.

Jim

Super good.

I have no idea how you make these. I've tried building (suuuuuuuuuuuper) simple paper kits and have failed horribly.

Thank you Derek.
The big thing is to have patience and to take your time. If you rush them, you will make mistakes.

Tonight I finished the Arado, and after beating those struts that support the pontoons into submission. Then mounting the craft onto the catapult.

So here is where I am at tonight.

Arado%203_zpskwpr94um.jpg

Arado%204_zpsa8pzuktl.jpg

Arado%205_zpsj7rpwor0.jpg

Arado%206_zpsa6fp6swd.jpg

Arado%207_zpscwimmkip.jpg

Arado%208_zpsphauj4v3.jpg

So other than some stairs to build, I think its time to start on some of the major armament.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Looks really sharp, Jim.
I showed this to my son, and he didn't have words for it.

Looking forward to the armaments coming

Thank you Scrach and John.

Spent yesterday working on the 4.1" Guns.

4.1%20in%20Guns%201_zpsnxfyptml.jpg

4.1%20in%20Guns%202_zpszseeu9ja.jpg

I'm building only one at first as to confirm the build and as an experiment. I want to see if this small gun can be made to traverse, rather than just fixing it in one position. It helps that centres are already marked on the parts.
On the completed turret, it was drilled and a 1.5cm piece of piano wire was fastened to the base of the turret.
The Barbette was also drilled to accept this pin. The Barbette was then glued into position and then drilled through the deck. the turret then inserted onto the Barbette. It appears to work.
When rolling the barrels for this gun I had to use 20lb paper for the main barrel as it was just too small a dia. for the normal card.

4.1%20in%20Guns%203_zpsk1pci7qr.jpg

4.1%20in%20Guns%204_zpszirsxhkl.jpg

4.1%20in%20Guns%205_zpsdecues1z.jpg

Now I have just 7 more to build of these.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Short update.
May not seem like much, but have finished rolling all the 4.1 barrels and am now in the process of their assembly.

4.1%20in%20Guns%206_zpsdw4vz5nt.jpg

I will be away on Saturday so will loose that day of production. Hopefully the next series of guns will go faster.
At least their barrels will be larger.

Jim

Latest posts

Back