"Big Train" Kit Bash [WIP]

Gotta echo the other comments Roger, doin` a grand job buddy............that engine looks top drawer i have to say, great work on the chass as well ;D

`Boots`

Thank you for the comments and encouragement. Can use that at times when I keep losing parts :-X Had to make a new rear brake drum because one walked off... Think the cat stole it :mad:

Got valve stems made and mounted. Chassis is set aside to let the glue dry before I texture and base coat of paint on it. Which should be tonight. Then will mount the engine and plumb the chassis. Will post more pictures once chassis is plumbed and all painted up. :p

Thanks again you guys rock!

I'm really loving this build - looking wicked. I'd love to build a massive Peterbuilt - I know nothing about all the right places to put the extra wires and hoses but they add SO MUCH to these builds (and the Rat Rods) - Guess I could just ask when the time comes.

Anyways back to this build. Keep at it - it's looking AWESOME!

Scott ... Thanks for the comments and encouragement. As far as wiring the motor, I looked at a few reference pictures and then went with what looked right. I know it's not accurate ... but looks like it could be. :-\

Patrick ... Thank you!

Trying to knock this out as quick as possible without cutting corners. I have one other build I have to complete for this graphic novel and the weather is going to break soon and I will have to start getting everything else done. Want to get it to the publisher before the end of the summer.

I like what I see 8) ...it's inspiring me so much I'm itching to start my Death Race PT Cruiser.
By the way, is the big train picture the truck from the movie Death Race?

@DXM yeah the last picture in my first post is the truck from Death Race, it was called "dreadnought" I nick named the this truck (the one I'm building) "Big Train" after the character that will be piloting it, in my graphic novel that I'm building this truck for. ... Hope that answers your question. It's too early ... lol

I was using the Dreadnought as reference. Mine I think will be a little cleaner like the truck from the highwaymen. But I don't know yet might take on a life of it's own.

Started looking at the drivers compartment (cockpit of the F-15) My hats off to the aircraft builders on SMA ... There is alot going on in there to paint. :-X

dreadnought - yeah, I've researched that last night. Very cool truck.

Thinking I might like building something like that too - Looks like a load of fun....

Chris S said:
WOW ...Hey Roger ,you're not taking any shortcuts ..huh!! Great bit of scratchwork buddy ...really impressed with that big engine :eek:, And the chassis is coming on nice . .

Keep at it . ;)

Chris.

Nice

Great job on that motor!! I would love to see the finished product, and I don't know how I missed this build for so long.

Update, I have been at this almost non stop ... Wife threatened to set up a cot just so she could sleep in the same room with me since I haven't slept much :-\

Even with lack of sleep this has been a great build, have really been enjoying scratch building and customizing 95% of each piece going into this build.

Calling the chassis done, even though I have to finish the exhaust and radiator(s). But not sure how those will be until the body is in place.

Here are the pictures.

Front top view. With this being a futuristic vehicle and having a aircraft cockpit as the drivers compartment. I figured it would be a drive by wire. The control box for all the electronics is between the fuel tanks, for that I scratch built using pieces from the F-15

RF242845.jpg

Top Rear
RF242844.jpg

Here is s picture of the control boxes

RF242842.jpg

Bottom rear

RF242840.jpg

Bottom front

RF242839.jpg

Picture of the articulating steering in action(right turn)
RF242838.jpg

Left turn
RF242837.jpg

Different view of steering mechanism
RF242836.jpg

Side view rear, can see the valve stems, still have to mount the baby moon hub caps prolly be the last thing to go on ;D

RF242833.jpg

front

RF242832.jpg

Next up ... the body ... this part is going to be a challenge since none of the kit parts from the truck fit any more since I extended, lowered the chassis and moved the motor. :p Which isn't that big of a problem just more work.

All comment and crits encouraged. I probably should have held off on weather but I'm inpatient ;D

Looking good. I need to get a kit and dirty her up. Looks like fun! And when I do, I have this build for motivation.

These pics are good and clear and the weathering is well done. It is what you would expect from a rig like this. Good combo of black grimy soot and rust.

Thank you for the comments ... body is going to be over the top.

I am looking forward to building another semi truck ... but next time will be more traditional. This being my first semi I might be hooked on them. :-\

Latest posts

Back