"Big Train" Kit Bash [WIP]

ScarredKustoms

Whatcha building!?
Some of you already know this but I am doing a kit bash of these two kits.

f15.jpg

1/32 scale Revell F15 D/E Eagle

kw.jpg

1/25 scale AMT Kenworth T600A

to make something like this:

Highwayman-01.jpg

with a little spice of

3368387627_a78e724ee7.jpg

Calling it "Big Train" after the character that will be driving this beast in graphic novel I am working on.

Have the frame glued together and working on the engine now. But I must say the Kenworth model instructions SUCK as does the tooling and fitting of the parts. They may have fixed this in later releases but the one I have is terrible. The front motor mount is giving me the biggest heartache right now because there are zero location marks on the motor, the frame or the part itself. The part doesn't even fit between the frame rails where I think it goes. I'll make it work. Just a pain. There have been a few other issues. Had to take the location pins off the motor completely because they didn't line up the two halves ... actually I have taken off 90% of the location pins so far because things don't line up... Guess I should be happy there are no location marks on the front motor mount because they would be wrong anyway. Oh well.

Will add build pictures when I am a little further along.

WOW ,what a mad looking truck !!! I'll keep an eye on this one ,looks like the front of a Gazelle helicopter stuck inthe front !. Interesting.

Chris.

Love that truck with the heli in it Im guessing its from the highway man? Never seen the show but what an awesome model. Will be looking at this one for sure!!!

@Chris Thanks Yeah it's a Gazelle. This is my inspiration for this build.

@Boots Thanks bro ;D Going to be a long build. Think I might do an artist rendering just to work out some design ideas for the body.

@Modelsinc1967 Thanks Yep the Heli truck is from the TV show Highwaymen. I'm taking it a step further well maybe a couple steps. ;D ;D

@Jingles Thanks, but crap... Think the name for the truck might change. but not changing the characters name Have too much of the story typed up :-\ I never heard of that comedy show. Maybe it will help me sell copies of the novel ... ;D The Dreadnought is one BA truck... wish I could drive one around Detroit for a day. ;D ;D

Should have an update in a day or two still working on the motor :-X will understand why when you see it ;)

Motor finally done. Many scratch built pieces not 100% accurate to Kenworth motor but it supposed to be a futuristic fantasy vehicle any way. Has a twin blower drives and turbo charger ;D

Here is a picture of beginning of the wiring, custom belt drive for twin blower, and just one of the scratch built brackets. This one is for the alternator that was just attached to the belt and floating in mid air. One of my pet peeves when there is no alternator brackets :-\

005.jpg

Grrrr board won't post.

5th try

010.jpg
009.jpg

Thanks for looking! Next is to get the frame and suspension done. Plan on lowering suspension a little ;D

WOW....Man that big ole engine looks fantastic buddy !! ;D All the extra work you have put into it really paid off ,and the painting really brought it to life ...excellent stuff ( a big thumbs up !! ) Looking forward to the chassis and suspension .

Chris.

That big `ol motor sure is sweeeeet, excellent work gone into this with the detailing and painting, a mahooosive well done buddy!!!, look forward to the next instalment ;D

`Boot`

Thank you all for the kind words. :D :D After looking at the chassis and suspension set up and assembling the major components I can see there is going to be some work involved in getting everything to fit and look right based on the body I have in mind. I am not only going to lower the suspension a little I am lowering the engine and moving it slightly back after initial test fit I cut off the front of the frame already. So i guess the front engine mount that I was stressing about earlier doesn't even matter becuase I have to make new engine mounts any way :-X

Here is a picture of major chassis components assembled and cut frame.
0017.jpg

The rear leaf springs are hollow on the back and that just won't do so when I get to lowering them I will fix that also.

016.jpg

Thanks again for the complements ... back to work!! lol

this engine reminds me of the time in Diesel Mechanics class where we where pushing a crane with a detroit diesel inline 6 engine just like this one, easily a 1,500 to 2,000 lb engine and we stopped pusing the crane. now at this point let me describe to you the design of the crane, it was two A frame things with a bar over the top with a hook and sliding thing over the a frame

well there are some simple laws of physics involved here, i was standing on the inside of the two a frames with the engine on the other side free to slide as it pleased, now as we stopped pushing the A frame crane, the crane stopped, but the 2,000lb engine wanted to keep going. MY DIRECTION! i dont think i have ever jumped out the way of something so fast in my life! i probably looked like mario, woooOOOP right out of the way! and CLANG! the engine went into the side of the crane i was pushing. my friends told me to check my under shorts.

Quick update and then back at it.

Got the rear suspension lowered new motor mounts made. Moved the motor back approx. 8" and 3" down in scale, Suspension was lowered 3" in the rear and 4" in the front also in scale. Also made the steering poseable by creating steering knuckles and linkage.

RF142806.jpg

I also extended the front of the frame 8" which left a huge gap.

RF142800.jpg

Which was fixed with a little more scratch building.

RF142804.jpg

Got tires and wheels all buttoned up and a few more hoses added to the motor along with shift linkage bracket. ;D

RF142807.jpg

OK back to the bench ;D

Also... already thinking about the trailer for this bad boy ... found a low-boy by AMT for $20 on evil bay ... dunno haven't bought anything off there for years. Any suggestions on trailer starting point would be great.

WOW ...Hey Roger ,you're not taking any shortcuts ..huh!! Great bit of scratchwork buddy ...really impressed with that big engine :eek:, And the chassis is coming on nice . .

Keep at it . ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back