Babylon 5 Starfury-Queen of Spades

Quaralane

In the words of Deion Sanders in the Direct TV commercials:
"It's ON!"

Starting up work on my entry for this year's Big Spring Contest over at ScaleModelAddict.com
For this year's first entry, I'll be building the Babylon 5 Starfury Mark 1 by Revell Monogram.
I'll be using the resin guns from Starshipmodeler.com and custom wing art and markings.
Box Art
Starfury-SMA-00.jpg

The mandatory "proof it hasn't been started" shot.
Starfury-SMA-01.jpg

My custom wingart for the "Queen of Spades"
This was rendered in Poser 9, then added the text in Paint Shop Pro
Starfury-SMA-02.jpg

Also using custom secondary flashes instead of wing numbers
Starfury-SMA-03.jpg

I'm in Q!! Nice looking ride there...and the ship ain't half bad too!! Have fun my friend!! ;)

Myke, the ships actually not all that big.
Wingspan's not much more than a foot, fully built, if that.

Thanks for the compliments, guys

Q I'm so jealous! I loved this show when it was on and have lost several EBay auctions of this kit over the last 5 years or so that it kills me. What kills me even more is I lost out on an auction on a 1/24 scale Starfury about 6 yrs. back on Easter night. I still bang my head over that....it sold for $79.00 and I wouldn't pull the trigger on $80.00. KHAAAAAAAAAAAN! I know this kit isn't perfect but I still want one on the top of my roll top desk.

Great choice, Q.
I must confess, that I've been planning to add one of these as my contest entry up to the very last day before the contest start, lol :)
I'm rewatching B5 right now with my wife - its her first acquatence with the show - just reached the 5th season, so building a starfury would have been kinda inspirational. However, I've changed my mind to another kit in the last moment, since I want to make some special project from this bird, with diorama building involved from the very start.
So next year's BSC maybe, and now I'm going to follow your experience, buddy ;)

loved the show loved the Starfurys even more were very agile if memory serves. anyway I wait to see Quaralane magic worked on her
DB

oh hell ya!!!!!!! this has to be the best looking ship ever. except for the Enterprise 1701 D :)

Cant wait to see this one Q

All I'll say right now, other than thanks, is that the build is moving VERY quickly

That’s one good looking ship. I think I will have to watch the Babylon 5 :)

Thanks for the faith, guys.

And now, construction begins in earnest:

Fuselage halves glued to the lower wings.
Some seam work was definitely needed here. I used a combination of tube glue and liquid cement to fill it.
Although the seams on the engines themselves had a slight step to them, I was able to deal with the worst of it
Starfury-SMA-04.jpg
Starfury-SMA-05.jpg
Starfury-SMA-06.jpg

I filled the seam between the inner wing and the fuselage with a small bead of tube glue that I smoothed with my finger,
Starfury-SMA-07.jpg

Glued the inside of the upper wing into place and then worked the seam the same way I had with the lower set
Starfury-SMA-08.jpg

A comparison between the resin guns I picked up from the Starshipmodeler store for this, and the kit guns.
The resin is the one on the left, the kit gun on the right.
I think the pic speaks for itself as to why the resin guns were the better choice
Starfury-SMA-09.jpg

Got the upper guns into place, then glued in the inner wing pieces
Starfury-SMA-10.jpg
Starfury-SMA-11.jpg

Youtube link:
Starfury-Queen of Spades-SMA BSC-Part One

Nice progression Q!! Looking great!! Nice bid with the resin guns!!! Much better!! ;)

Latest posts

Back