Babylon 5 Starfury-Queen of Spades

Nice start, Q!
and, as I see, I really should consider getting those resin guns replacements firing SF while there are still some on SSM-store - they are of a no comparison with those from the kit.

nice work Q,

Like your solution for fitting the SSM guns and fixing the wing/fuselage fit issues.

Are you re-scribing the raised panel lines ??

Not tackling rescribing the panel lines, cobraleader. Not that confident in my ability to not mess them up competely.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Looking good. I have this kit in my stash also, and I have toyed with the idea of getting the resin guns also as I don't think I have the skills I would want to scratch build my own.

I've been also holding off building my kit as I'm trying to find some good looking and tasteful nose art for her, as I usually bring my models to work for a while after I've completed them, and most of the pin up style images I've been able to find wouldn't be approved here.

Definitely going to be following your progress on this kit.

CodeMaster, you could always go with some of the stock schemes from the kit.
Which version do you have?

Thanks, Java

Looking good Q... I remember building this kit a long time ago and I know how badly the wings fit together. Didn't realize those resin parts would interfere with the wings... You'd doing a great job so far... can't wait to see thing thing in paint!

Thanks, guys.
And LrdSatyr8?
Wait no longer for the start of paint.....

Got out the Aves Apoxie Scuplt to start working on the worst of the seams around the fuselage join and int the area where the fuselage and the upper wing meet.
Starfury-SMA-12.jpg
Starfury-SMA-13.jpg

Lower guns have been installed and the cockpit interior painted.
I painted the tub interior green, followed by doing the cushions on the flight chair in tan.
Picked out the armrests and head cushions in grey before giving the whole tub a black wash.
( Not visible here is where I picked out the control panels in black before sealing the whole thing with a coat of matte. )
Starfury-SMA-14.jpg

Main rear thrusters and vanes are assembled
Starfury-SMA-15.jpg

The pilot's paint scheme was kept fairly simple.
For the main suit, I simply used the kit plastic as the base color.
The collar and helmet were done with a medium metallic, and then the visor was picked out in metallic blue.
The belts were done in Vallejo Smoke, which left the gloves and boots to be done in black.
Gave the whole figure a black wash to bring out the detail, then a coat of matte before sealing it into the cockpit.
Starfury-SMA-16.jpg

Due to temporary issues with the airbrush, I did my base primer coat from rattlecan with Krylon grey primer.
The thrusters were sprayed with Testors Graphite Dust laquer, again from rattlecan.
Starfury-SMA-17.jpg

In a bit of a control experiment with the rattlecan, I sprayed the engine housings in Graphite Dust. I liked the resulting "fade" effect enough that, once I got the airbrush working again, I shot the middle section with Badger's Camouflage Grey, and tried to fade that into the rest of the grey hull.
Starfury-SMA-18.jpg
Starfury-SMA-19.jpg

Youtube link:
Starfury-Queen of Spades-SMA BSC-Part Two

wow you are motoring this one Q.

here is some insperation for ya came across it on fb and taught of you. is that a good or bad thing?? :D

554927_348304341956134_1964355114_n.jpg

Awesome build Q. :)

Love the Starfury - I've got one in my stash also (complete with the Starship Modeller resin guns), so I'm really enjoying your build thread. Great job.

Thanks, guys.

Spud,
I don't know whether to worry or not.
So....I won't.

Thanks for thinking of me, though :p

Awesome looking Starfury Q! My brother and I just finished watching B5 again for the first time in about 10 years. Amazing show. The starfurys were practically characters themselves.

Latest posts

Back