Azek Dummy, for dummies?

smusno

Are there any vids on applying the masks?

The saucer seems fairly straight forward, but applying them in the correct order for the secondary hull seems like it needs a little more thought?

I guess the question in this.

Are the masked bits supposed to be pearl, or the hull its self?

Never mind, I thought I might just crack on.
524156_10151419736865527_681790526_23586067_264894960_n.jpg

Its driving me slowly mad.

You get to peel all that off after your spray your pearl. Well at least you'll see immediate results with all that glitter. I tip my hat off to you son....your a better man than I.

OK.
Anyone planning to do this................. DONT.

Anyone who has ever sat on there lofty steed and said the "decals are cheating" cant have endured the abject pain and indignity of applying these little sticky pieces of hate.

Ladies and germs.......................

1 hours work.
375653_10151421654340527_681790526_23592288_963391052_n.jpg

So thats 1/2 a saucer in 1 hour. So thats 4 hours of masking for 1 3rd of the ship.

im off to self harm

I think you've done quite well for 1 hours work. I'd keep at it. I reckon it'll be worth it.

Come on! You're 25% of the way there to finishing the saucer.

Dude.

the 1 thing all that masking means is..........................

Shes gonna be TOTALLY FREAKIN BOSS when shes done.

However, and other question.

The OG 'E' had gold and blue and snippets of red. Do you thing differing shades of light grey inder the pearl will give it more 'movement' for a static model?

Dave you have the patience of a Saint. I would actually like to try this one day on a 350 refit but I think I would have to dedicate an entire year to the one build. I've heard of guys burning out on starships. But all in all your doing great. You said earlier in the day there are no videos on masking the Aztec pattern for the Enterprise and you go out and make one. The world needs more men like you. Real go getters. Ride'm cowboy!

Wow what a chore that is! I've been curious about the aztec kits too for a few of my upcoming model builds. Thanks for the info. I'm still undecided if this is going to be something I tackle or not. Overall I love the look of it when it's completed but I don't trust my skillset yet.

what skill set? Yes, when I was 16 I did 6 months as a signwrighter. Of which I was useless, but did get a little experience weeding out the vinyl from the sheet.

Aside from that, there is no skillset. I think, if im honest. I just do things, not ponder them too much.

As Nike said, "Just do it".

Glorfindel said:
Dave you have the patience of a Saint. I would actually like to try this one day on a 350 refit but I think I would have to dedicate an entire year to the one build. I've heard of guys burning out on starships. But all in all your doing great. You said earlier in the day there are no videos on masking the Aztec pattern for the Enterprise and you go out and make one. The world needs more men like you. Real go getters. Ride'm cowboy!

Thats why I did the tank.

Once the 'E' is done (and the second one i have is smoothed, yoiks), im going to paint a 70 Starfighter plane. Just coz its a) not white, b) I want to try some of that aluminium.steel looking alclad stuff.

spreading my modelling wings baby!

smusno said:
Dude.

the 1 thing all that masking means is..........................

Shes gonna be TOTALLY FREAKIN BOSS when shes done.

However, and other question.

The OG 'E' had gold and blue and snippets of red. Do you thing differing shades of light grey inder the pearl will give it more 'movement' for a static model?

Go read this link: http://www.olsenart.com/strek.html

This is an article from the person who painted up the refit. In it he explains how the ship got the red, gold and blue tones.

Nice video on the aztecing!

smusno said:
I want to try some of that aluminium.steel looking alclad stuff.

I too want to try my hand at the Alclad. Maybe that's the next group build that should get going.

"The Alclad Invitational"
Randomly picked forum members (willing to participate of course) get to build a randomly picked model that has to use Alclad on it. As a mass group we decide what kits are in the grab bag and we have Scott draw members screen names out of a hat and write them down. Then place all the kit names in and draw them out assigning the first kit pulled to the first member drawn as well. All members willing to participate must agree to a dollar amount to spend on the kits. They can add after market is so desired. And naturally they have to purchase their own Alclad for their builds. I'm trying to think out of the box....excuse the pun.

I've just started using Alclad 2. It's amazing stuff! Dries in literally seconds!!! And it's very shiny. That's not even the high shine stuff! Quite unforgiving with poor surfaces though, scratches and such.

Grendels, that was some interesting reading. Got that bookmarked.

And Dave, awesome video. The best video on applying vinyl masks I've seen... Wait... the ONLY video on applying vinyl masks I've seen!!! Good job, buddy. 8)

532298_10151427883480527_681790526_23617586_1074587978_n.jpg

Top of dish, 2 hours
Bottom of dish, 2 hours

freehanding the edges to blend it all in a little, almost 2 hours.

6 hours just on the saucer.

what do i do if it looks poop at the end?

Latest posts

Back