Looking for information on 1960-1970 model

SpicaHawaii

Hello all,
I am new to this site and joined in hopes that someone could give me some information on a model I built as a child. I don't recall the name of the model kit or manufacturer but it was a somewhat realistic concept for a long range space exploration vehicle. I think I built it around 1970. The space craft was nicely detailed and two important features that I recall were three deployable arms that rotated out from the body to form work and crew environments. I believe the intent was to rotate slowly like a three bladed propeller. As I remember it, it also had some unique type of propulsion system (ion drive?) where a motor was on an extended shaft to keep it away from the rest of the vessel. The front end of the ship was rather blunt and the overall appearance seemed more grounded in science rather than sci-fi. It was a highly articulated model and did not have many smooth surfaces. I do not think it came with a stand but I can't be sure because I hung mine from the ceiling in front of a blacked out starry night. The model did not have any lights and the only moving parts were the swing out arms and the motor drive extension shaft.

If anyone remembers this model, I would appreciate any information they may recall about the name and manufacturer. Better yet, if anyone has a photo, please share!

Thank you!

Welcome to SMA !

no idea what ship you're looking for ,but hopefully someone here will .

You can search thru : https://www.scalemates.com/
The search words used will be key to finding it of course , if it's in there .

Hello all,
I am new to this site and joined in hopes that someone could give me some information on a model I built as a child. I don't recall the name of the model kit or manufacturer but it was a somewhat realistic concept for a long range space exploration vehicle. I think I built it around 1970. The space craft was nicely detailed and two important features that I recall were three deployable arms that rotated out from the body to form work and crew environments. I believe the intent was to rotate slowly like a three bladed propeller. As I remember it, it also had some unique type of propulsion system (ion drive?) where a motor was on an extended shaft to keep it away from the rest of the vessel. The front end of the ship was rather blunt and the overall appearance seemed more grounded in science rather than sci-fi. It was a highly articulated model and did not have many smooth surfaces. I do not think it came with a stand but I can't be sure because I hung mine from the ceiling in front of a blacked out starry night. The model did not have any lights and the only moving parts were the swing out arms and the motor drive extension shaft.

If anyone remembers this model, I would appreciate any information they may recall about the name and manufacturer. Better yet, if anyone has a photo, please share!

Thank you!
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

Welcome to the Herd, Spica! I recommend Scalemates as well. A lot of people have contributed to it and uploaded content.
I was born in the middle of your target years, and I can remember some space station models, but not that clearly. I'm thinking of Revell, but I don't think their kits fit your description. But good luck!
Best regards,
Brad

Welcome!!!
Try Mustang Hobbies, they deal in vintage kits as well as new. I've had good luck finding things there and shipping is fast.

Latest posts

Back