Atlantis Space Missile Kit

mboyd

IMG_2231.jpeg
I picked up this kit several months ago while it was on Clearance for a great price at $8 US. I’ve had an airbrush for a while, and can’t explain why I haven’t even attempted to use it. So, I’m thinking about my next project as a lesson in airbrushing and I was wondering if this would be a good model for that purpose. The price I paid screams “Experiment with me!”

Any experience with this model or general airbrush newbie advice is very welcome. Also, any recommendations for other space models, I love ships and space.

Thank you to scalemodeladdict.com for creating a welcoming community where new people can feel understood, rather than ridiculed for inexperience.

IMG_2230.jpeg

Please forgive the useless screenshot at the bottom. I thought I deleted that, but I was wrong.

Welcome to the Herd, and this is a good choice for experimenting.

This is Atlantis' re-pop of a kit from the early 60s, I think it was. I can't remember which company originally produced it; I want to say either Revell, or maybe Renwal, but I can't remember. You can have fun with it, and remember the early days of our space program with it.

For what you paid and the subject matter, that is the perfect choice for airbrush practice. Look at it this way, if you mess up the paint on a rocket it's going to be a really simple job to strip it back and try again. So have fun with it! Also, welcome to the boards!

View attachment 115587
I picked up this kit several months ago while it was on Clearance for a great price at $8 US. I’ve had an airbrush for a while, and can’t explain why I haven’t even attempted to use it. So, I’m thinking about my next project as a lesson in airbrushing and I was wondering if this would be a good model for that purpose. The price I paid screams “Experiment with me!”

Any experience with this model or general airbrush newbie advice is very welcome. Also, any recommendations for other space models, I love ships and space.

Thank you to scalemodeladdict.com for creating a welcoming community where new people can feel understood, rather than ridiculed for inexperience.

View attachment 115586
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please post lots of photos as you build, would really like to see the finished kit.

Remember, have fun with it. Pantherman

Hi and welcome to the forum. Please post lots of photos as you build, would really like to see the finished kit.

Remember, have fun with it. Pantherman
Will do. My trepidation towards my airbrush is that I want to be better versed in how to clean it, over how to use it. If it isn’t clean, its usefulness quickly diminishes. Kind of a “chicken-and-egg” argument. But, you’ll never learn to swim if you don’t get in the water. Obviously, I’ve way overthought this topic.

Will do. My trepidation towards my airbrush is that I want to be better versed in how to clean it, over how to use it. If it isn’t clean, its usefulness quickly diminishes. Kind of a “chicken-and-egg” argument. But, you’ll never learn to swim if you don’t get in the water. Obviously, I’ve way overthought this topic.
My first airbrush was a cheaper option but I stripped it down completely before using it so I knew how it should look when fully clean and working.

I clean up after every use and usually do a complete strip down every month, maybe 2 if I haven't used it much.

Now 2 years old and sprays like brand new. Pantherman

My first airbrush was a cheaper option but I stripped it down completely before using it so I knew how it should look when fully clean and working.

I clean up after every use and usually do a complete strip down every month, maybe 2 if I haven't used it much.

Now 2 years old and sprays like brand new. Pantherman
So, I guess my question is in the area of how to switch colors. Like if I’ve just used “Hull Red” and want to apply “Warship Grey”, these are incompatible colors. Can I just do a quick flush with some thinner, or do I need to do a full breakdown cleaning?

For reference, I have one Master Airbrush with compressor; and one cheap cordless airbrush I found on Am@zon for $20, which I figured would be my primer brush.

So, I guess my question is in the area of how to switch colors. Like if I’ve just used “Hull Red” and want to apply “Warship Grey”, these are incompatible colors. Can I just do a quick flush with some thinner, or do I need to do a full breakdown cleaning?

For reference, I have one Master Airbrush with compressor; and one cheap cordless airbrush I found on Am@zon for $20, which I figured would be my primer brush.
Usually if I'm changing colours I just flush it with a little water, quick wipe down of the cup, another quick water flush so no colour remains and good to go again. Do a proper clean at the end of the session with water then cleaner. This is of course only if you are using acrylics.

Others may do it differently but this works for me. Pantherman

Usually if I'm changing colours I just flush it with a little water, quick wipe down of the cup, another quick water flush so no colour remains and good to go again. Do a proper clean at the end of the session with water then cleaner. This is of course only if you are using acrylics.

Others may do it differently but this works for me. Pantherman
Thanks for your advice and patience for beginner level questions, Pantherman!

Thanks for your advice and patience for beginner level questions, Pantherman!
Just ask away, always happy to help. Great members here and a great place for advice. I have only been modeling for Just over 2 years so really still a newbie. Pantherman

Yeah. A newbie with 2,268 messages on this forum. LOL
Where does that number come from? I seriously just joined here maybe a week ago. I have two threads, this one, and one where I said hello. Please provide some evidence. I’ve never been here before a few days ago, and now I might not ever come back. Bye scalemodeladdict.com. I won’t participate in this.

Where does that number come from? I seriously just joined here maybe a week ago. I have two threads, this one, and one where I said hello. Please provide some evidence. I’ve never been here before a few days ago, and now I might not ever come back. Bye scalemodeladdict.com. I won’t participate in this.
Actually, I’m out. I’m better than to get into an online argument with a moron. Enjoy your modeling everyone. I’m officially turned off to the hobby.

If this isn’t addressed by admin…I take back my praise for this site. I really hoped this wasn’t like Reddit…but it’s just the same old bully-bullshit that holds back potential hobbyists. I’ll keep building models, but with this nonsense on this site, I won’t be bullied anymore. I honestly never knew this site existed until about a week ago. Everything I’ve ever said here is public information. So who the heck is this guy calling me a liar? I’m deeply offended, and now I know the truth…this is just a harbor for bullies and dickheads. Please, please, please prove that wrong. I will keep MY integrity intact.

[I won’t delete any comments for the reason of context. I was very wrong here. Tim’s comment was a cheeky jab at Pantherman, not me. I have to give them credit for addressing my concerns, and I overreacted.]

Last edited:
If this isn’t addressed by admin…I take back my praise for this site. I really hoped this wasn’t like Reddit…but it’s just the same old bully-bullshit that holds back potential hobbyists. I’ll keep building models, but with this nonsense on this site, I won’t be bullied anymore. I honestly never knew this site existed until about a week ago. Everything I’ve ever said here is public information. So who the heck is this guy calling me a liar? I’m deeply offended, and now I know the truth…this is just a harbor for bullies and dickheads. Please, please, please prove that wrong. I will keep MY integrity intact.

Tim is replying to Pantherman .
Please re-read his post .
He quotes Pantherman saying , " I have only been modeling for Just over 2 years so really still a newbie. Pantherman "

Tim is replying to Pantherman .
Please re-read his post .
He quotes Pantherman saying , " I have only been modeling for Just over 2 years so really still a newbie. Pantherman "
Then why isn’t he saying this? He should say so, not someone else.

Greetings mboyd,
Welcome to the forum. Let me address your concerns.
You can see the number of messages a user has posted under their name (see screenshot).
Also when replying to someone's message you can see the message you are quoting.
It is understandable a person new to the forum would miss this.
Again, welcome to the forum and if you have any questions just ask, There is a lot of experience here.

Screenshot (3843).png

Latest posts

Back