astroboys' falcon

I used an enamel base coat, then an acrylic clear coat (x2) then the little wash I did do in some areas was enamel and it didn't effect the base coat. Just remember to let the acrylic coat fully cure and you should be fine.

merseajohn said:
I used an enamel base coat, then an acrylic clear coat (x2) then the little wash I did do in some areas was enamel and it didn't effect the base coat. Just remember to let the acrylic coat fully cure and you should be fine.

But do you think I will get a less than amazing paintjob with the acrylics? This is something I want to spend the time on and be proud of.

You can get excellent results with acrylics.
Getting gloss or semigloss does mean using a clear coat, but I'd recommend that no matter what paint you're using

As Q says you can get amazing results with acrylics, I just couldn't get the colour I liked so I went for enamel.

Your cockpit lighting looks cool! Just to chime in, enamel basecoat with acyrlic wash.

takin' a detour........need painting pratice before i get going on the falcon

[attachment deleted by admin]

that's the prime + grime wash coat.

The next step is to us some maskol and salt to work the chipping/rust before the basecoat. Not quite sure what the base should be. Part of me is tempted to go with straight flat white and then use weathering to bring it down

I am not sure what the base coat should be on a Y-wing. But that is what I probably would do.

here's the next step. Used maskol and some salt to give it a serious paint chipping problem.

Like I say, this is only a test project before I get too the falcon paint job

There's now WAY I'll make the deadline, but since I want my falcon to be done right, I don't want to rush it

No worries on deadline. Like some of last year's GBs, I'll try and keep this open until the projects are done.
So long as they keep getting updated, that is. :p

Technique's looking good

Quaralane said:
No worries on deadline. Like some of last year's GBs, I'll try and keep this open until the projects are done.

Technique's looking good

Good to know, I doubt I finish mine by the end of Feb.

Quaralane said:

Technique's looking good

Oh really???? Sweet!

I'm going to have a ton of time in early march (I'll be stuck backstage of 3.5 hour opera every day for two weeks....with nothing to do)

I figure there's no point in rushing any of these builds. And using March will still leave April for the start of contest builds

I gotta say, this is turning into the saddest falcon build thread ever. I'm now trying to save it by doing a y-wing.

Pretty soon, I'll be posting pics of the lawn I just mowed for at least SOME sense of accomplishment

It might be a sad falcon thread but it is a good y-wing thread, post this over in Sci Fi!!

Latest posts

Back