Arachnarok Spider

E

Elastirion

Hi Guys!

As I wrote in my introductory post, I originally come from the miniature wargaming side of the hobby. So I thought it about time, to show my current big project. It is the Arachnarok Spider for the Orcs and Goblins. ;D
I usually play dwarfs, being somewhat of dwarven character and staue myself but this I paint as a birthdaypresent for a very dear friend. My friend plays O&G but doesn't paint at all. He usually acquires already painted minis on eBay, with partially extremely hidious results... The Spider although sells for quite a healthy price when painted... well it should being such a komplex model.
This is actally a group efford since other friends of mine paint the howda and the goblin crew.
We built the model one evening together and I didn't take any photos, so the pictures I have are from a somewhat advanced state of the build, my apologies.

I assembled the models main body and the legs but left the legs seperate and mounted them on paperclips for easier painting. I primed everything with Vallejo grey acrylic-polyurethane primer.
I painted the underbelly and other fleshy parts VGC (Vallejo Game Colour) kaki and washed it with GW devlan mud. I masked the underbelly off and painted the chitin plates with VMA black. I then sprayed light coats over the edeges successively lightening it with VGC steel grey. I then painted a simple design with VMC Carmine Red. I did some drybrushig with steel grey over the black areas and some with VCC blood red and firy orange on the red design. I then washed the transition between the black and blueish areas with GW asurmen blue wash, which was a mistake... some drybushing with steel blue and edge highlighting with VGC wolf grey fixed it more or less... :-[
After removing the masking I fixed some overspray and painted all the teeth and little horns GW dheneb stone. I washed those with devlan mud to. That is mostely where I am at. Still got a lot to do, didn't even start the base yet.

arachnarok1.jpg

arachnarok3.jpg

arachnarok2.jpg

arachnarokbeinjpg.jpg

Hope you like it, Sarah.

Hi Sarah,

That is one butt (cool) ugly looking spider. Great paint job. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Regards,

Craig.

Sarah, I love the paint work on this. Especially the blue highlights and such.

Very nice job.

Yeah, that is some nice painting ability. I don't like spiders and would prolly step on it. ;D

ive no intrest in the wg side of modeling but that is really cool the paint job is very nice. ;)

That is interesting- but I hate spiders, that one has little spiders hanging on to its abdomen! eyuck!

Its a nice size? I see a paint bottle in some of the pics, those Vallejo bottles are what? 2 1/2 inches tall?

I would try to hinge the legs at the body so you wouldnt have to worry about it sitting crooked when it stands finished. Love the paint job.

Hi!
Thank you all.

@ Kryptosdaddy
Measured it quickly, the main body is about 5 inches long. The complete thing is quite huge. Each individual leg is specifically keyed into its position, so there shoulden't be any problems with it being crooked. It is pretty foolproof really. GW knows its customers... ;)

WOW! :D

Elastirion: That´s an awesome model... and superb painting, ah? :D

I don´t know what is exactly an "Arachnarok Spider", but when more or less 25 years ago I read the novel "Starship Troopers" in my imagination the "Arachnid soldiers" wher more or less like this one! (the came "the movie" :p :p)

Very interesting, really...
RG

Hi Sarah ,

Im not really into this sort of thing myself , but thats a great paint job ,I like the fading on the blue ,its very well done !...Look forward to the rest of it .

Chris.

Hi!
Back with a little update.

I keep forgetting that SMA is no miniature site so here is a little bit of explanation. The Arachnarok Spider is a model produced by Games Workshop for the fantasy tabletop wargame Warhammer. It is part of an army of orcs and golbins, more specific it is a giant spider with a wooden framework mounted ontop used as a sort of giant crawling warmachine by woodgoblins.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440081a&prodId=prod900159a

For this update I tried myself on a YT-video. My camera is only a crappy webcam, so please excuse the quality.

[WG] Arachnarok Spider - Progress update

Some pictures for all those who do not want to sit through my rambling...

arachnarokb5.jpg

arachnarokb4.jpg

arachnarokb3.jpg

arachnarokb2.jpg

arachnarokb1.jpg

@Jelly
It is not that GW doesn't pick up "inspiration" everywhere. They based a whole race for their SciFi-wargame Warhammer 40K on the Arachnids... the Tyranids... ;)

Excuse the doubleposting...
Am I just stupid? I can't get this video embedded is there a trick to it, I only ever get the code displayed. Some of you have embedded videos so the funktion is not disabled???

What are you telling me ! ! :D

So I´m not absolutely mad ! ! ! What a surprise... TBH I don´t know absolutely anything about GW / WH 40 ...

Do these "Tyranids" have also "Brains" to command their soldiers ?? then that would be almost a pseudo- copy of "the bugs" army structure ...

Anyway, your Arachnarok looks realy superb...
Thanks!
RG

Even though we are not a war gamming bunch here, it's still nice to see your art work posted.

Got your linkage fixed.
It's displaying correctly now. Apparently the "raw upload" version of the URL is no longer the right one for embedding.
Have to take the one from the actual page for the video now

Spider's looking good

@Quaralane Thank you very much, Sir!

@ Jelly I have really no idea about the Tyranids, because I never played 40K. I have heard they have sort of a hivemind...? Must really read Starship Troopers, have it somwhere.

Back to work on that thing, got to have it ready by next sunday (Nov 6th) because we have to perform the final assembly. But I really like that kit, if the price wasn't a bit steep, I would buy one for myself.

Hi!
So, I went back and did a little work on my Spider and it is nearly finished. I just need to do a little touchup and the base and I am done. I did a little update video for you. I am still working this video thing out... my English usually isn't that bad, but I sound like a moron on camera, alway searching my mind for words I normally know, like canopy, landing gear or something else. :-[

[WG] Arachnarok Spider - A Progress Update 2

arachnarokc1.jpg

arachnarokc2.jpg

arachnarokc3.jpg

arachnarokc4.jpg

arachnarokc5.jpg

arachnarokc6.jpg

My next update should be with the finished model.

@Tony lee
The enormously large thick veil and train should have been a warning... ;D

:eek:

I hate Spiders... LOL

But this one is Superb ! your painting skills are Pretty Darn Good !!!
I am always impressed by those GW figures.... details and more details.... just Awesome !

Wunderbar !

Keep up the good work !!!

Latest posts

Back