Anyone familiar with Zoids?

CallSignOWL

Hoot Hoot
I have a small collection of Zoid kits I did way back in the day (middle school, I think...early 2000's? I cant remember). Anywho, they've been packed up all this time and I keep bugging myself to open them back up and actually "model" them. When I originally built them, I just ripped the parts off the sprues and mooshed them together. Some parts are chipped and dont fit together all that well. My brother and I also used to mash them together to make them "fight". Which means some are broken and/or missing pieces.

In my collection are Konig Wolf, Zaber Fang (with translucent armor), Shield Liger, Liger Zero X, Rev Raptor, Gordosaur, and a couple of Z-Builders--Leoblaze and Unenlagia. Its hard to believe that these now go for over $100!!

anyone have any advice on the restoration process? Painting, sanding, weathering??

CallSignOWL said:
anyone have any advice on the restoration process? Painting, sanding, weathering??

Ahhh!

Not been introduced to Zoids yet but that definitely sounds like a great project!

The best for us to give you advice is to put pictures up and ask specifics depending on what you wish to do.

But as a general advice on restoration, since you mentioned broken and missing parts, you would like to give a try on casting (by molds) or creating (no molds) your own parts, this is done with an epoxy called "green stuff" (and don't buy Citadel's green stuff, theirs is way too expensive), you would also need a sculpting tool set.

However, if your models have paint, the first thing to do is to strip the paint; then you continue to take all pieces apart if the parts that you glued on look horrible, this will allow you to put the pieces back on the right position if necessary; after this, you repair or reconstruct partial or complete parts with the "green stuff" followed by sanding to make all pieces as smooth as they need to be; then goes priming, painting, weathering.

This is just a broad overview of how restoration takes place and what is on the top of my mind at the moment.

If you got any questions, let me know, I will be glad to help out! :D

Luis

luisito8m said:
CallSignOWL said:

Ahhh!

Not been introduced to Zoids yet but that definitely sounds like a great project!

The best for us to give you advice is to put pictures up and ask specifics depending on what you wish to do.

But as a general advice on restoration, since you mentioned broken and missing parts, you would like to give a try on casting (by molds) or creating (no molds) your own parts, this is done with an epoxy called "green stuff" (and don't buy Citadel's green stuff, theirs is way too expensive), you would also need a sculpting tool set.

However, if your models have paint, the first thing to do is to strip the paint; then you continue to take all pieces apart if the parts that you glued on look horrible, this will allow you to put the pieces back on the right position if necessary; after this, you repair or reconstruct partial or complete parts with the "green stuff" followed by sanding to make all pieces as smooth as they need to be; then goes priming, painting, weathering.

This is just a broad overview of how restoration takes place and what is on the top of my mind at the moment.

If you got any questions, let me know, I will be glad to help out! :D

Luis

thanks for the info, Ill see if I cant get some pics up soon

For the ones in the best conditions, I would like to do an operational or battle-worn finish. There are no paint on these, just colored plastic, so at least I dont have to worry about stripping paint! For those with major damage, I wonder if a "wrecked" diorama would be appropriate...

Red zoid indeed, from the second line of the toys. 1985...

CallSignOWL said:
Ken Abrams said:
Redhorn is an evil zoid and I think that was a line from the old commodore 64 game?

Im thinking thats a bit before my time, LOL

Yeah it was. ;)

When you said earlier "way back in like early 2000" I chuckled to myself.

Then I felt really old.

Then I cried a little.

Ken Abrams said:
CallSignOWL said:
Ken Abrams said:
Redhorn is an evil zoid and I think that was a line from the old commodore 64 game?

Yeah it was. ;)

Then I felt really old.

Then I cried a little.

yeah...Im a young 'un! :p

Ken Abrams said:
CallSignOWL said:
Ken Abrams said:

Yeah it was. ;)

Then I felt really old.

Then I cried a little.

So did I, I have three zoids from the 70's...... That I bought as a kid.

Yeah zoids!

I have two kotobukiya kits the saber fang and a white command wolf i just need to make bases for them, a really old first edition zoidzilla i have plans for, a few zoids blox versions and i am at the moment making two kit bashes of my own design. ::)

Hey check out the new kotobukiya zoidzilla/gojulas: :eek:

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/1248600/index

You will get a good amount of inspiration from this forum too: http://www.zoidspoison.com/

java said:
Yeah zoids!

I have two kotobukiya kits the saber fang and a white command wolf i just need to make bases for them, a really old first edition zoidzilla i have plans for, a few zoids blox versions and i am at the moment making two kit bashes of my own design. ::)

Hey check out the new kotobukiya zoidzilla/gojulas: :eek:

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/1248600/index

holy hell, thats awesome!!

o1ted_LJ6nSbj9oyrUoXiQ.jpg

whelp, dug my zoids out from storage. This is what they were all packed in

and when dumped out, I was left with this mess to sort through

I was able to get them pieced back together, and they are in better condition than I thought they would be

Here is Zaber Fang. I definitely want to keep that translucent effect his armor has. No missing pieces that I can tell...

Shield Liger is damaged. Its tail got broken off at some point, never to return...This one would be a battle damaged/battle weary candidate for sure

Konig Wolf is the first Zoid I got, and holds a special place in my heart. I'd probably go for a "factory finish" on this fella

Rev Raptor is pretty small, and is missing one of his scythes...I was thinking about an abandoned wreck dio for this one. What do you guys think?

Liger Zero X has a bunch of pieces for the alternate armor schemes. I had it built up as a combo of the two. Im thinking a custom paint job is in order for this one

Here is the big'un...Gordosaur. He's got most all of his pieces, thankfully

Then my two Z-builders. These fellas are posable. Not sure what I want to do with them. I know Unenlagia (blue) can be built to be placed on Konig...
Unenlagia

Leoblaze

The black thing with three exhausts goes on the shield liger chest in the same spot as the saber fang.

http://www.zoid.us/1bluebladeliger1.jpg

The gun would go on the end of the shield ligers tail.

The two rounded hoses go on the front legs of the saber fang.

That weird Barrel thing with a small hose on it is most probably from one of cat/ligers chest areas.

The rest of it just looks like spares

java said:
The black thing with three exhausts goes on the shield liger chest in the same spot as the saber fang.

http://www.zoid.us/1bluebladeliger1.jpg

The gun would go on the end of the shield ligers tail.

The two rounded hoses go on the front legs of the saber fang.

That weird Barrel thing with a small hose on it is most probably from one of cat/ligers chest areas.

The rest of it just looks like spares

thanks mate, that helps

Latest posts

Back