AMT Defiant Class - First Build!!

A quick question: Have you tried letting the future, flat base mix set up for a while? I sprayed a matte coat of Krylon rattle can last weekend on a piece and it had a few milky spots where I got the paint a tad to thick. Two days later the milky spots were gone. I just had to give the paint time to cure.

No, I can't say that I did. I gave it a really thorough mix together, but it was pretty much straight through my airbrush after that.

I think what I'm going to do right now, is test the UK Future just on its own. That way, I can see how much glossing it does and also, if it's the cause of the milky build up.

First thing, though, I 'll mix up a bit of future and flat base and leave that for a few days.

I'd throw out the "Future" out and keep it for your floors. People use it mainly cuz its super cheap. If you are painting with Acrylics, then gloss with an enamel or Laquer so it doesnt interrfere and take off any base coats done with acrylics if you use an acrylic thinner or water to remove weathering mixes.

punkpigpen said:
The Testors Laquer Dullcote rattle can is excellent but its pricey. Its not enamel so theres so acrylic VS enamel issue. I Like it above all flats but ifim building studio scale resin kits one of those shorty cans can do one. i need 2.

I'm with you PPigP. I've had great results with this stuff too. Seems almost impossible to screw it up.

I hear you, PpigP. This UK future isn't the same stuff as you use across the pond. I do feel though that to throw it away without trying it would be like a failure (not to mention a waste of £7.50). It might be the right thing to do, but I've just tested it without the flat base and, it looks pretty good.

There's only a slight sheen to it, which is pretty much what I'd like for this ship. So, I think I'm going ahead with it. This also pretty much confirms that I was definately using too much flat base. It seems like it only needs the tiniest amount, I'm thinking like a 1:10 ratio (don't quote me on that).

I've spent all night masking the remaining blue panels. It's now after 3am. *Yawn*. I don't think I've got anything on tomorrow, so should have all day to hit this model.

I don't want to set overly ambitious goals for myself, but if I get on with this, I think I should be applying the decals before the weekend is over.

Igard said:
No, I can't say that I did. I gave it a really thorough mix together, but it was pretty much straight through my airbrush after that.

I think what I'm going to do right now, is test the UK Future just on its own. That way, I can see how much glossing it does and also, if it's the cause of the milky build up.

First thing, though, I 'll mix up a bit of future and flat base and leave that for a few days.

I think we had a miss communication here. What I did was let the future set for a few days, after it was sprayed. Not before. I used it right away once it was mixed. The curing process clears up the milkiness.

Hey igard if you ever use the forums at Resin Illuminati, most there NEVER would use future. Some do, but i wont. Ive tried it but its soo damn glossy that dulling it down takes sooooo many coats of dull to make that happen. you end up with a semi-flat at best.
I think its fine for the armor, tank guys cuz they use soo much oil paint, washes, rusts and pigments then dullcoat it so its very matte before they do the sealing.
Anyways, i saw this there and its an AMAZING enterprise. Its like if the Enterprise was built at Tiffanys. go see!
http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=9650

Grendels said:
I think we had a miss communication here. What I did was let the future set for a few days, after it was sprayed. Not before. I used it right away once it was mixed. The curing process clears up the milkiness.

I'm sorry Grendels. Didn't read the question properly. You're not going to believe the stupid thing I've just gone and done. I decided that I'd learned all I could from the box I was test-spraying, and I sanded it all away. I've got a really shiny box now (used 12000 grade), but I'll have to try again if I want test out the curing time.

Guys, I'm going ahead and using the UK future on it's own, no flat base. This could be a mistake, I know, but it looks fine from the test spray I did. This is the first week of the entire build (almost 10 weeks now), where I haven't had to go out, or order online, some new tool or product.

PpigP, that's one crisp looking Enterprise! Very professional looking. I also noticed all the switches!!

Here we go...

18062011165.jpg

All the panels are done. It's not perfect, but I'm really happy with the colours. Some of the blue is slightlly too intense, but I don't think it's overly so.

18062011166.jpg

Some dry-brushing on the stern. It works pretty well here. You can also see some of my putty work. Trust me, there's worse elsewhere. Especially around the bussard collectors.

18062011167.jpg

One of the phaser pulse cannons I scratch built using miliput and the inside of a ball-point pen. You can also see the copper bracing for the bussard collector. The Tamiya copper isn't quite sitting right on it. I was trying to apply it as dry as possible and just work it up, but it doesn't seem to be working too well. I'll do another coat or 2 to get it right.

18062011168.jpg

This is the ventral hull, just because, I don't think I've shown you yet. I think I'm going to touch up some of the windows with some clear resin as some are slighty recessed.

lookin good! or you could try a drop of CA glue and after that cures add some Tamiya clear gloss out of the bottle. It will resemble a window more.

Nice progress on this.
Your paintjob's looking good. And, having seen those seams in the past, I'd say you've done well with them.

Thanks, Quaralane.

PpigP, I heard that you could use superglue to make windows, but thought it sounded a bit odd. Now that you've told me all I need is a clear gloss, I'll give it a try sometime. :)

4am on a Sunday morning. *MEGA YAWN*. I've just sprayed some UK Future on the ventral hull. I'll do the dorsal hull when I wake up, whenever that is!

Decals tomorrow! YAY!

Oh, yes, I'm not going to do a wash now. There doesn't seem to be a need after some dry-brushing.

Night all.

Cheers, Grendels.

Didn't wake up 'til 11.30! But it was a good nights sleep. The ventral hull where I sprayed the Future looks good! Doing the dorsal hull soon, then it's onto the decals.

Do I dare think I can get this finished today? I think I might, unless I'm forgetting something.

Having fun with the decals.

19062011169.jpg

What a difference it makes! I put the registration numbers on the insides of the nacelles a little too close to the ventral phaser cannons. There should be a red pattern line in between the two, but there won't be room for that now.

19062011170.jpg

Little problem here. It's like I didn't spray this section with the future. This was just a drop of decal solution that I accidentally spilled.

Anyway, it's going good. Quite enjoying this part actually.

I put the base together a while ago and... wait a minute... What's this?

Not the USS Defiant?

19062011171.jpg

The USS Spitfire featured in a computer I game I liked. Here's the memory beta, official non-cannon description :- http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Spitfire

I used Tamiya chrome silver for the plaques. The ink ran a little from the Federation logo, but it gives it an antique look. :p

Next to it you can see the bottom of the case, complete with battery cradle.

Thanks, Q. It helps explain the inaccuracies. ;)

I just put a great big smudge right on the 't' in Spitfire (the one on the base). I don't know how this happened. I used microscale decal film and then Revell softener. It had been sitting for about an hour. How can the ink run after all that to protect it?

Ah well, I can always re-do it later. I'm going to go ahead and finish the model first. Probably not tonight though. Decalling is proceeding slowly.

Cheers, Grendels.

All the decals are done. I'm pretty happy with them, but I'm sure that I need alot more practice. I felt like I was starting to get used it near the end.

One decal is a bit crinkled. I'll smother this with some solution to see if fixes it.

The 2 red stripes that run from the bridge, down to the stern (the thick curved ones) are quite asymmetric. Notice how the 2 blue panels behind the bridge are not symmetric either. So, I tried to compromise and make them not look quite as bad.

Also, the decals are quite shiny. I'm not sure if I should give it a dull coat, would this possibly flatten the decals onto the ship? Or is this just normal?

20062011172.jpg

Latest posts

Back