AMT '62 Pontiac Catalimo

Farmboy

I had recently been to a car show and saw a badly maintained Oldsmobile (a '63 Rocket I think) converted to a limo. I liked the idea and just happened to have a couple of AMT 62 Pontiac Catalinas and 1 Catalina Custom in my stash. So here`s my attempt.

This is the kit
dgkiSOVj6OhgRHHHWE1mVEedBbQMIoV2.jpg

Here's where I started. Rear doors on 4-door cars are not as wide as the fronts. Doors on 2-doors are wider still. The Catalina kits are 2-doors, and I merged parts from 3 of them, mostly body/chassis/frame/seats. For the front doors, I freed the door from the body at the jamb, then cut a strip as wide as the door handle. I then removed another small witdh from the same door and replaced it with the previous door handle piece. Here is the door waiting for the handle section.
fiQTw6jm75SgFgN171Qj6coFeDIbUGfW.jpg

In the next pic, I have sawn the roof to separate the body in preparation for the added length
s4HqNWEdMQBGtgq7osKOIGlBkHh5SSOs.jpg

The thing that struck me about the limo was the doors. There were all on one side! The left side has a driver's door and rear door while the passenger side has 4 doors. In the pic below, I'll have to build the gap between the front and rear doors, but I think I can do this with sheet, body fill and a bit of creative cursing. At any rate, I'm hoping my skills are up to it.
itugim8MtbCfmFKhujF5JJ9tF6PsVsIL.jpg

Here's the 4-door side. First, note that the front door has the added piece that I had cut earlier. The next three doors (going rearward) are all the same width, but not as wide as the front door. I was suprised when I did the assembly of the 4 doors. The bottom/tops did not exactly line up. They were off by just the smallest amount while the side spear lined up perfectly. I think this is due to the slight angle of the spear, and that the doors are reverse and from the other side of another model. The side spear has the smallest of angle from front to back and this is the part I wanted to be sure was straight as possible as it will be the center of attention on the finished build. Or maybe due to sloppy cutting. At any rate, the lines will be re-established when bodywork begins.
QBrD6fCT1LblufJBT5JRbFtHw788cwlU.jpg

The pic below has the piece I'll be using for the roof before trimming. I've already rolled the edges on it. Chrome trim will be done with sheet and plastic rod.
tKWK7gkwJpcWE6OtFGGWcQarok0bKsk2.jpg

this is to show the chassis merging. I'll nneed a center piece from the 3rd chassis to make it look half decent. The frame will be modified too.
FIwpcjT1UgpfklKi94njGiLMJMKtuHK9.jpg

Hope this thread will be of interest. Comments and observations always welcome.

This will keep me interested in stopping back by.
Very neat idea. If it turns out anywhere near the
long nose Merc, you'll have something there.
Looks good.

Interesting build. I'll have to follow this one.

The reason that the doors are all located on the passenger side is because that's normally the side of the car near the curb. That way, drunk passengers don't stumble into traffic when getting out. Plus, the doors won't get torn off by passing cars if someone opens the door without checking. I've seen it too many times. :eek: ;D

Thanx Mr. G. It's pretty obvious why they are on the one side, I had just never seen it before. Plus, I only had 6 doors to play with. Bonus! lol...

Onto the framework. Here, the chassis (floorpan) looks like it will overlap ok using just two of the kits.
Cwl5MbNkTU2tMIh7dfnN92Be0qkCdadn.jpg

...but it's just a touch too short. I'll use a piece from the third section of floorpan, making the cuts so the section more or less blends with the rest of the unit

Hbakk9uS84WUdEJ1HhsokCG7dk9gSWbc.jpg
l

Here's the floorpan merged together with a section from the 3rd kit. I did what I could to end up with as little work as possible. Just a bit of filling and filing and life should be good. The frame was a lot easier as it has no distinguishing shape to it, so it was just a simple matter of joining it at the two longest sections. It looks warped but that's the background sitting on top of an xacto knife I didn't see at the time. Some slight filling and it will be seamless
ncVqLf4eJTrqpsMt0cwd5ljE7mIpit6w.jpg

This is the bottom view of the pan and frame. Again, very rough, but I believe it will only be a little bit of work to make them look as 1 piece each.

i1TnohnqoNCj3s9KUfVMjOsqCNAMqkwI.jpg

Finally, the two pieces together. It'll clean up relatively easily....I hope.

FbSqdVOnEmC86G4l6BRc61s3r37AAo8U.jpg

That's all I'll have for a couple of days but I will continue the build here. comments and observations always welcome.

Ambitious project. Floor and frame turning out nice man. Keep at it, I think this will end up very cool.

A little bit of progress. Here I'm adjusting the body fit wiht styrene sheet scraps. Afturing assuring the floorpan and frame are square, I mount the body to it and glue the sheet to the inside of the body, clamping it so it's in agreement with the rest of the model
cIFSDgrm4jBvtes4AAlfHtnARda8mc8e.jpg

Here is the scratchbuild of the driver's side of the car. I've decided on just one door on this side, not two as I previously planned to do. Only the driver's door makes sense. Anyway... the section is made up of multiple pieces as I just couldn't get a single piece to do the job. The bottom, middle and upper sections are separate. The top concave piece is built from a section of styrene tube while the two spears are from half round. It looks awful clunky and out of line, but there's plenty of room for filing, sanding, contouring, aligning, filling and whatever else is needed.

noSJwCFS3nShtseq26eNR72lFpcKSsrD.jpg

c5HpHVS0dVmcGQrscVPUhfLdBHVTg29e.jpg

Comments, critiques and observations welcome.

Thats quite a mammoth task !! , but it looks like you've got it in hand ,hope you pull it off as it will be an impressive bit of chopping ...great stuff :)

Chris.

The messy stuff begins. Working from the bottom up I'll be attempting to level the new sections to the rest of the body. The sanding begins....

jkW8TGLk4UDlP84BaQ7s9qmmrQTrQKSG.jpg

It's coming together slowly. The bottom half from the spear down is about ready for final sanding. Only the vertical door line to add when the whole thing is ready. I've put a strip of styrene in the spear. It will be cut to length and either bmf'd or shot with Alclad to be the chrome insert. I haven't finished the roof yet 'cause I'm thinking....spa in the middle? Maybe.....

c5v1leM5Mvqaj108DJswjg5a93wGo84L.jpg

comments and observations welcome

Finally getting a bit of bench time. I"m still in the bodywork process. The left side is about done. I fitted a roof to the body and it looked....like a long car. Damn the torpedoes I say. I trimmed the roof panel I had built to fit between the middle doors, and cut a big hole in it

o91uJ2seTJNkuWn8v1GtrToCfV8iCEa3.jpg

and bought a chrome nut protector for an 18 wheeler...

VpUvQBk5PlkdSJeoA9KjSVeOrlCJjjhN.jpg

...I modified it a bit by cutting the threaded portion off

FlRTclkjTIf9fnptREdrma5cq0I45tCn.jpg

...and one has a spa. Note in the preceeding photo it has 6 convenient moulded in seats. It will be de-chromed and painted pool blue and a couple of screen vents/inlets added to the inside and wood decking for cosmetics. Here's the mockup, the rear section will be extended to the door hinge with 2 bench seats in the rear.

HrqUPMjaiKC3lOondiIa5h85aswwp2Un.jpg

Thats a pretty cool idea :) ....fits in just nice huh ;D

Chris.

Re: AMT '62 Pontiac Catalim

Thanx for the input guys. More to come. As always, comments and observations welcome.

After a bit of research I've decided a roof -- with mods -- is the way to go. This is new territory but I'm optimistic. First, I've added rods to each side to help with support and alignment of the new roof section.
bgJccofljThU2eo5P61ot78888iLnthk.jpg

and the new roof. I've temporarily installed the pool in it's future location to aid in alignment of the b i g cutout for the sunroof
FLb6AtdQ5g1MS2mslfJUcdgSto4AOT3e.jpg

I called it a sunroof, but its probably more correct to call it a skylight. Here, a simple frame and piece of styrene sheet will make the hump in the roof. A hole will be cut in the roof to match the frame directly over the pool.
GUO8TQEOjRLuEtkLNH1Rdl7dQE1l3Q7M.jpg

When done, this piece will have the center square removed with clear or tinted acetate in it's place. All angles will be gone so it will be one smooth flowing raised section in the roof
v8jivNWm6b6VTeI7B6hbLNdU4NreOu6N.jpg

Hopefully, the entire smoothing process will go fairly easily -- I'm hoping. First big hurdle will be to get the unit centered over the pool. It'll be eyeball engineering but with any luck will turn out ok.
f3o28KeUVtVefPovUr9eeh6RNbEBhvWv.jpg

comments and observations welcome.

As prepared as I was to continue with what I had built, I found a clear piece that more than fit the bill for me. It's a styrene cover from a cheap bead box I had bought at Walmart a couple of years ago.. The more I looked at it, the more it seemed it would work. So, a bit of Goo Gone and here's my skylight
UkvrRKpubcdVdu71ndA2JhW0p1qEklB6.jpg

...and that meant scrapping and rebuilding the frame to suit
EshLbOMmD4BJncRfi9FbrJb7DSNSCU3l.jpg

Here's the piece loosely sitting on the roof.
OkoA2scC3o44MLWp7t93QuwgiQWEKmEn.jpg

and from the top. The body angle to the lens makes the opening look forward, but it's right over the spa.
jVtrufGI8gm2v96JvMDhgtj7PAEdm8F7.jpg

Latest posts

Back